Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help for a friend.

She is on Cingular and wants to get a Razr, but isnt eligible for the upgrade cost, so she is going to buy one on eBay. I see Quad-band, and GSM phones listed, but want to make sure the one we get will work for her. You guys in the business or just in the know, fill me in please. I used to keep up with all this crap when I was with the big V, but since being with Nextel, I know what will and wont work with me. I know that Verizon, T-Mobile, and Cingular all have the Razr available, but I dont know if any of them are interchangeable...
Thanks,
Chris

BTW, the market is Knoxville, TN if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Re: Cell phone question

Quadband is International GSM, basically it can work on GSM services anywhere in the world..850 900 1800 1900 mhz.

In the states we use primarily 850/1900 I beleive, and abroad its 900/1800. So a quadband (gsm) phone that is unlocked - would take a sim card from a foreign provider if your us carrier did not have transient/int'l billing.

Member 'thetruth21' on here had a black Cingular GSM Razr for sale awhile back, not sure if he still does but may want to ping him

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

DO NOT GET THE RAZR, STEO AWAY FROM THAT PHONE.

several of my colleagues have it and are trying to get rid of it. my boss has sent his back 3 times for fixin.

looks nice, but that is it.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts

NinerPilot said:
Looking at Cingular's site, it appears that all of the Razrs are quad mode.

Im also seeing people talk about them being 'unlocked' and unsure what that entails.

Thanks again,
Chris
Unlocked means you can use it on anyone's network. For the USA, this just means it will work if you are a TMobile subscriber or a Cingular subscriber. Most the carriers brand their phones (locked) so that they are only useable on their network, unless it's unlocked.
Just buy one that is branded Cingular and you should be fine. The RAZRs work well enough, but the phone doesn't like to be dropped at all. The circuit board is miniscule and doesn't take to well to beatings like other phones. Make sure that she knows this before purchasing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

bubba said:

several of my colleagues have it and are trying to get rid of it. my boss has sent his back 3 times for fixin.

Mine has had hell beat out of it and still is working fine.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

Just got mine 2 weeks ago and no problems yet. Will post later if it does break from dropping it.

Cool phone but it does take some getting used to due to it's size.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts

as long as its unlocked, she can take her cingular GSM SIM card out of her existing phone and slide it right in the razr and it'll work...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

ccwilli3 said:
as long as its unlocked, she can take her cingular GSM SIM card out of her existing phone and slide it right in the razr and it'll work...
Right, or she gets a Cingular RAZR. I bought my Cingular RAZR outright and just dropped in my Cingular SIM card.

Interesting factoid. We get phones from around the world to tear apart sometimes, and the few Japanese DoCoMos I've done all worked with my Cingular SIM.

·
Registered
25 Posts

bubba said:

I am with Bubba. I have alot of co-workers that have problems with that phone on Cingular. I am going to stick with my Treo 650

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

iujmulr said:
I am with Bubba. I have alot of co-workers that have problems with that phone on Cingular. I am going to stick with my Treo 650
:rotfl::rotfl:

Dude, did you really just compare the Treo 650, one of the buggiest phones of all time, to the RAZR?

Don't get me wrong, the Treo is great... right until it crashes when you get an incoming call.

·
Registered
806 Posts

bubba said:

I've had mine for nine months and am very rough on it. It does some quirky things, but all in all it's one of the best phones I've owned.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts

navydevildoc said:
:rotfl::rotfl:

Dude, did you really just compare the Treo 650, one of the buggiest phones of all time, to the RAZR?

Don't get me wrong, the Treo is great... right until it crashes when you get an incoming call.
I like this guy more by the minute and I ain't even like that :smilebig:

Besides that small fact, it also feels like you are talking on a piece of toast - it's just this big stiff flat thing stuck against yer noggin - like talking to a shoe or something.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

You can get any of the GSM phones (T-Mobile, Cingular) and go to a site like http://www.cell-unlock.com. If you spend more than a couple seconds with google, you can find free unlocking software.

I unlocked my SX66 (Cingular) using free software and was using my T-Mobile Germany chip in Germany last week. Worked like a charm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts