Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to get an o-ring or x-ring chain and which one gives better acceleration etc also can you tell me which is the most expensive? cheers

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
X-ring chains supposedly lubricate better but I think this has more to do with durability than performance.

Drive chains, like many other components on a sportbike, are a compromise between durability and performance. A 520 chain is lighter and smaller than a 530; this reduces rotating mass for a small performance increase but you will sacrifice some measure of durability.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thing is, i got a chain+sprockets fitted today, and my bike feels alot worse, i had alot on my mind so i didnt even ask for a particular type, but i think he fitted an o-ring(just doesnt look right, no manufacturer just, ES530 HSDC Japan), and he told me the front sprocket was a 15 tooth which he replaced with the standard 16 tooth, now i think my bike doesnt have the same acceleration, i realise this is to do with the changed front sprocket but would an o-ring chain slow things down aswell? is an x-ring better quality than an o-ring? also the recommended replacement DID X-ring costs £70.00 I was charged £86.00 for an o-ring, is this normal? How can i tell whether its an o-ring or x-ring? bit of a rant there, cheers

·
Registered
847 Posts
Going from a 15 front to a 16 would account for the bike feeling slower. It's now geared higher, making acceleration slower, but higher top speed. The chain won't make the bike feel must slower or faster, not the difference between o-ring and x-ring. Some people use a 520 chain/sprockets to save weight.

16T front is the stock size. The previous owner must have dropped it a tooth for more acceleration.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi CJ550,

X-ring and O-ring are both O-ring chains, the O and the X refer to a different shaped O-ring (as I understand it anyway). Like phobiaphobe said, the X-ring is supposed to lubricate better and should last longer because of it.

As for the difference that you feel in your performance/accelleration it is most definately due to the change in sprocket size as you suggest - the chain might make a tiny difference, but most riders (me included :crap:) would be unlikely to feel the difference under normal circumstances.

If it's a real issue for you consider swapping back to a 15-tooth unit, I think the last front sprocket I bought was Aus$38 (or about 15 quid at today's rates)...86 quid for your chain sound pretty good, I paid something like $270 for my X-ring.

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, think i will ride it for a couple of weeks see how it feels, but i think i'll change the front sprocket to 15 again, but then again i have to think about those 170mph+ curves!!! oh baby :eek:

·
Registered
847 Posts
CJ550 said:
Thanks for the info, think i will ride it for a couple of weeks see how it feels, but i think i'll change the front sprocket to 15 again, but then again i have to think about those 170mph+ curves!!! oh baby :eek:
The gearing change isn't just max speed, WFO in 6th gear. It's max speed in each gear. You'll get better gas mileage with the 16, since you'll be running a lower rpm at any speed than you would with a 15.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The other thing I just thought of is if the previous owner had the speedo recalibrated after fitting the 15-tooth sprocket your speedo will now be reading about 6 - 7% too slow...did you notice any change ?, riding along wondering why everybody is suddenly not travelling at the speed limit :idunno:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know but acceleating past cars at 50mph is completely different anyway i dont care anymore i have spent £630.00 to get the suspension sorted and its worse than when i started , i'm parking this up next march i'm going to buy something else, its the worst handling bike i've ever come across, maybe it was crashed but i'm tired trying to figure it out, so fuck it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts