Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a new RK 520 chain on my 2000 929. How does a chain breaker work on a master link? Do I need a separate tool to press the master link plate on, or is that part of the riveter? How does the chain riveter work? What other tools do I need?

If I am now using a 520, do I use the same number of links ( I cannot see why I wouldn't - it's just the pitch that's changing)?

I purchased the tire changer from Harbor Freight tools. It is OK, but needs improvements to the base to make it more stable. The motorcycle attachment is only half useful. The upper arm does not line up with the axle hole on the rear rim.

Can anyone recommend a brand of the above tools and a reliable place to buy them?

·
Registered
728 Posts
bladeleeder : I am putting a new RK 520 chain on my 2000 929.  How does a chain breaker work on a master link?  Do I need a separate tool to press the master link plate on, or is that part of the riveter?  How does the  chain riveter work?  What other tools do I need?  

If I am now using a 520, do I use the same number of links ( I cannot see why I wouldn't - it's just the pitch that's changing)?

I purchased the tire changer from Harbor Freight tools.  It is OK, but needs improvements to the base to make it more stable.  The motorcycle attachment is only half useful.  The upper arm does not line up with the axle hole on the rear rim.

Can anyone recommend a brand of the above tools and a reliable place to buy them?
You need a separate chain riviting tool, unless it is an all in one tool. Just use a Dremel tool to grind off the head of the rivet and then a large screwdriver to pry the plate off. The riveting tool will squeeze the hollow head of the rivets down after you press on the plate.
Don't know about links on a 520, but it should be the same.
My Harbor Freight tool lines up just fine, try adjusting the clamp positions. It works great on my VFR and 954.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I adjusted the clamps to the last hole so I could even get them to hold the tire. The rod that is supposed to go throught the upper arm in to the lower arm will not because the hole in the upper arm does not align with the axle hole in the rim, no matter what the position of the clamps. I hope that makes sense. I will look at it again tonight and try to adjust it correctly.

Thanks for the info about the chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts