Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, my chain's been chattering a lot. It has 15K on it, isn't stretched out too much, and doesn't seem to bind either... yet it jumps around a lot. I've tried adjusting slack, with too little, just right, and too much, none of which helped. The front sprocket seems fine, and there is some wear on the rear sprocket, but not as much as I would expect would be needed for the chain to chatter like it does.

So, here's a pic of the rear. Maybe someone here can tell me what the deal is, or if it's simply time to replace the set.

BTW, the sprocket/chain isn't dirty, I had just sprayed it with dry moly lube.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Great topic title!

(no offense, Chain...I enjoy your posts)

2OH, by 'chatter' do you mean the chain is skipping teeth?

Kind of difficult to see the wear from that pic, but at 15k I'd say you're getting close to needing new stuff.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
There's enough wear on that sprocket to cause the chatter. Time to replace.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dB : Great topic title!  

(no offense, Chain...I enjoy your posts)

2OH, by 'chatter' do you mean the chain is skipping teeth?  

Kind of difficult to see the wear from that pic, but at 15k I'd say you're getting close to needing new stuff.
Thanks

It's not skipping teeth, but the upper part of the chain jumps around quite a bit, slapping the swingarm, etc.

-----------

So... 2/2 so far say replace. It's more or less what I expected, although the rear sprocket wear didn't seem significant enough.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chain : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 15 2003, 11:13am)...not talking about the post whore.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chain : You are sick and wrong, you salad-tossing menace you.
So is that a no?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Replace ASAP---
1) It will destroy your rubber swingarm gaurd
2) Teeth may be getting ready to shear
3) I bet the c/s sprocket is worked

Is this the stocker or a 520?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trackho : Replace ASAP---
1) It will destroy your rubber swingarm gaurd
2) Teeth may be getting ready to shear
3) I bet the c/s sprocket is worked

Is this the stocker or a 520?
1 - I'm starting to see the rubbing
2 - wow
3 - actually it looks to be in excellent condition, unlike the rear

It's the stock setup. I'm thinking 520 afterwards. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
2OHOH2954 : Quote (Chain @ Aug. 15 2003, 2:23pm)You are sick and wrong, you salad-tossing menace you.
So is that a no?

Baketech, where's that plunger horn avatar again? OHOH's in need of the Royal Treatment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2OHOH2954 : Lately, my chain's been chattering a lot. It has 15K on it, isn't stretched out too much, and doesn't seem to bind either... yet it jumps around a lot. I've tried adjusting slack, with too little, just right, and too much, none of which helped. The front sprocket seems fine, and there is some wear on the rear sprocket, but not as much as I would expect would be needed for the chain to chatter like it does.

So, here's a pic of the rear. Maybe someone here can tell me what the deal is, or if it's simply time to replace the set.

BTW, the sprocket/chain isn't dirty, I had just sprayed it with dry moly lube.
Quote Lately, my chain's been chattering a lot. It has 15K on it, isn't stretched out too much, and doesn't seem to bind either... yet it jumps around a lot.

Your chain may be unevenly stretched. First try this test (a little easier if you have a rear stand)

- measure the amount of slack/tension at each 4-5 inches of chain rotation.

Normally tension should be even all around.

If it's not, find the tightest spot. Adjust chain tension at the tightest spot so that if falls within Honda spec ie 1.5-2in I believe.

Now measure at every 4-5 inches again. If you have some sections that are now much too loose, it's time to replace your chain.

Uneven chain stretch can cause chattering as it yanks from loose to tight.

note: chan tension should be set according to spec at the tightest spot.

hope this helps

Seeker
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides

·
Registered
289 Posts
What did you take the pic with? How did you get it so well lit? That is a GREAT close up shot? I don't know what is better, the shot, or the fact that Pete can see the wear on the sprocket?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Chain : Quote (ratter1 @ Aug. 16 2003, 10:09pm)Is chain a post whore
Apparently not to the degree YOU are, Ratman! Check the post counts mate!
there's not much in it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts