Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the swingarm on my 929 after a small off which dented my previous swingarm.

After installing new swingarm my chain is no longer running smooth and straight it doesn't sound right and is jumping. I thought I transferred any spacers from old swingarm into new one but maybe I made a mistake- would a missing spacer cause my chain to not run true?

I believe there were two spacers on the inside of the swingarm one long one short- none on outside, but then I saw a photo on ebay and there is a spacer on the outside of swingarm (see pic)*

Can someone tell me what spacers are required on a 929 swingarm? Not the bearings etc just the spacers. Does a 929 swingarm have spacers(collars) on both inside and out? (Nothing in the Haynes manual re spacers on outside)

At present I have spacers on the inside of swingarm and none on outside just the swingarm pivot bolt and nut just tightened up against dust seals is this correct?*

On this link to parts diagram there are no outside swingarm spacers, Parts 11+12 are inside spacers/collars one short one long but in Haynes manual both are long (see pic) Also bit confused about Part 10?

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2001-honda-cbr929rr/o/m2074#sch88996

Would it be possible for someone with a 929 to measure the distance across the swingarm from hex to hex then I might know if it is the spacers or something else? Thanks any info appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I read through the other post... use some digital calipers to measure the width of the chains, then check the one you riveted. That Will cause the issue you mention. Cut the riveted link with an angle grinder, or at least grind the end off if pushing pins out. Then buy the exact same chain master link and do again. Dont use a super cheap riveter, they are waste of time

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know if you solved the problem yet but I have a feeling the rear sprocket may have been installed wrong, try flipping your rear sprocket around.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I don't know if you solved the problem yet but I have a feeling the rear sprocket may have been installed wrong, try flipping your rear sprocket around.
Excellent advice.

And a classic case of 'don't take anything for granted'. Cheers!!:wink

1 - 10 of 10 Posts