Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
I don't understand why more people don't use Scottoilers :huh:

They clean and lube the chain and the reservoir only needs filling every few thousand miles.. If they are set up correctly they don't make any mess either..

Maybe people just like getting messy and having to apply chain lube all the time :idunno:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've used Motul Road chain lube for the past three or four years and think it's great - yes it does throw a little, but keeps the chain lubed and doesn't wash off in the rain as much as other brands.

P.S - I've only ridden the 954 at the track for the past 3 years...:smilebig:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got a relative who's a diesel engineer and a machinist, he tell's me that any chain 415 - 530+ should only be lubed with a heavy weight gear oil. I've found that the more expensive synthentic gear oils are great with regards to fling. If you don't attempt to drown the chain with a whole jug, i find it stands up better than all the bel-ray aeroysol cans or the chain waxes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My bikes owner's handbook state using gear oil for chain lubricant.
Which is what I stated with when I got my first bike. But I found the the mess just too much specially as all the road/ tyre crap sticks to it and piles up around the front sprocket area where you can't see & clean properly! Ideal grinding paste for filing down your chain/ sprocket!
Of the other sprays I tried (motorax, castrol, rockoil), only the 2 I mentioned were not only fling free but road muck doesn't stick to them

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've had so many friends show me their bikes and all the chain lube on the undertail. They always ask me which chain lube they should get so it won't fling off. I always ask them if they wipe down the chain after the lube it up. The answer is always "no." At this point I tell them to go read the directions for the lube they are using.

I've used a lot of different lubes over the years but have NEVER had any problems with the stuff flinging off. Yeah, if you're not cleaning and lubing it regularly, over time the dirt and grime completely covers it and you end up having a mess around the front sprocket, but it's nothing serious.

Used the Belray, Motul, Motorex, Repsol, Castrol, PJ1 (blue label and black label), Motrax, and Motopro stuff before. Currently I'm digging the Dupont Teflon lube. Chain has to be REALLY clean for it to be most effective, but almost zero mess after the first time you use it. How well does it work? I'll let you know when the current chain wears out.

Stuff that definitely does not work well: Weapons lubricants such as Militec or CLP.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have always used BelRay chain lube...basically white lithium. But it makes such a damn mess...Anyone use a lube that doesnt paint the chain white or sling off after riding?
Sling off? I use Bel-Ray and it doesn't sling off. Following the instructions on the can, I apply it to a warm chain right after I've finished a ride and then let it sit. I leave mine overnight and no problems the next day with it flying off. It does tend to put a white coating on the chain but that just helps me see places I've missed with the lube.

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
How much do the scottoilers cost
Here you are.. >Linky<

SSB bought me mine for my birthday almost 2 years ago and apart from topping it up every couple of thousand miles I've not had to do anything much with it.. I adjust the flow rate up a bit in the winter as the weathers sh!te and down a bit when it's hot as the oil thins a bit in the heat but other than that it does exactly what it's supposed to..

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
I'll be darned...
When I change the currency to US dollars it redirects to THIS SITE.
Spare parts for the Scottoiler are listed, though no Scottoiler systems.

For a complete chain oiler system they only offer the ACUMEN CHAIN OILER (another UK company, BTW)
Scottoiler ship direct to the US, and the whole world for that matter, so you should be able to order direct from them.. It didn't do that when I just tried it :huh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.