Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to adjust and lube the chain on my rc soon. The manual says use 90wt. gear oil, but I see most people on youtube use spray chain wax. Which is better? Wouldn't oil collect more dirt?

·
Registered
900 Posts
only just started using wax last six months and i recon it is better, not as much spray over wheel. But noticed you will need to clean out front sprocket cover now and then as it builds up a bit.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Chain wax is all I use and it's great. Like RICK says, you do have to clean up the build up once in a while with WD-40 so the sprockets and chain are nice and clean, then start over. Maybe two or three times a season for me.

Can't even imagine using 90 weight gear oil. What a mess!

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
"rccarver", I use Chain Wax. Had five different bikes, startted using Chain Wax back in 1988. Yes, you do have to clean out the front sprocket cover, every so often. I use WD40 to clean up the excess, and keep the chain clean. When ever I get back home from a ride; I usually spray Chain Wax on when the bike is still hot. You can see this stuff whick on to the chain, when the chain/sprokets still have some heat in them. Its the best chain lube out there. Plain old oil is last ditch effort for todays chain and sprocket.
I think every type of lube on the market, picks up some amount of dirt/gritt.
Thats why its called chain maintenance. You gotta pay attention to your chain;(I'm sure you realize this.:cool: ). Clean it like Denzee does. Chains are pretty tuff, they can take a little dirt. Just don't neglect it and use Chain Wax.:thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been painfully applying 80-90 wt gear oil to my chain. It still looks like it's rusting on the outside. Where and from what manufacturer do I get wax chain lube? And can you use it on your stock chain?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have been painfully applying 80-90 wt gear oil to my chain. It still looks like it's rusting on the outside. Where and from what manufacturer do I get wax chain lube? And can you use it on your stock chain?
Maxima chain wax is what I use and you can find it at most bike shops. Yes you can use it on your stock chain but you should remove the rust or replace your chain first.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've heard bad things about WD-40 on a chain. Since it is a penetrant and not a lubricant they say it can work its way past the O-rings and dissolve the grease inside. I know people have been using it to clean the chain and not as a lube but I don't want to clean the sealed grease on the inside.

I use Simple Green on my bicycle chain to clean it. I might try that on my CBR. I bought some Bel-Ray chain lube that I'm going to try. Bike only has 300 miles thus far.

·
Registered
824 Posts
it will lats at least a week depending on how often you ride...i also use maxima chain wax....get the big can...its worth it..ive heard guys also use a little kerosene on a rag to clean their chains also...i just use wd40...but im surious if anyone else used kero? The wax will work on any chain, oem or aftermarket...xring oring t ring....its all good! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use kerosene to clean chain, its bit messy though, but does a good job removing old gunk, i also use wd40 as some of the other guys do, just to clean the outer chain links, then use Wurth high performance chain wax to lube, its excellent stuff..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts