Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wash it gently with diesel fuel and a medium soft brush. Dry with an old towel. This method cleans the dirt out of the O-rings and from between the links without affecting the o-rings or washing out the built-in lubricants, as can happen with solvent-based cleaners (like WD40). The little bit of residual diesel will be flug off in the first mile or so. :thumb:

·
Registered
871 Posts
The master link is pressed on with a tool that mushrooms the pins. You have to buy special tools to do the job. One tool presses the pins out,the other tool mushrooms the new master link on. I would just clean it on the bike. W-d and a brush or kero. Alot easier then removing the chain. IMO

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I believe he has a clip-type master link. If you used a chain wax (like Maxima) you just re-lube a warm chain, wipe it off with a rag and spray it once more. The solvents in the spray loosen and carry the dirt off. When you are done its lubed and clean, nothing to fly off. Its so easy that if more people did that, these threads would never get posted.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I took the chain off I baught a new master link for 4$ and just cut the old one by buffing the head of the pins on the master link. To clean my chain, I just remove the chain from the sprockets and dip it in diesel after a couple of minutes, turn the chain so to soak the other portion. Brush it or cut the master link :idunno:

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you're going to go to the trouble to remove the chain why not replace it? The clip style master link is not nearly as secure as the pressed on type. I for one wouldn't trust it on any high performance bike. If it can't be cleaned with some WD-40 and a rag it has probably been neglected to the point of replacement anyway. :twocents:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I can't imagine removing a chain to clean it. I use an old rag soaked in Kerosene, then lube the chain normally. Maybe I'm just lazy.

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It worked just fine. Looks almost new again. I couldn't get the clip back on the master link all the way, so I'll be buying another link and have the shop put it on since I don't have the tools. I looked at the tool last night on-line, but wanted to get it done today. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
847 Posts
An easy way to soak the chain without removing it from the bike is to remove rear wheel. Then let the chain hang down inside the swingarm. It will be long enough to reach a pan. Soak/clean it a section at a time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
CBRjack said:
If you're going to go to the trouble to remove the chain why not replace it? The clip style master link is not nearly as secure as the pressed on type. I for one wouldn't trust it on any high performance bike. If it can't be cleaned with some WD-40 and a rag it has probably been neglected to the point of replacement anyway. :twocents:

you can buy the pressed link also, costs 10$ to get it mushroomed you can buy the tool or do as I did baught the pressed and the clip link for less than 10$, put the cliped on to go to the dealer with the pressed, a lot of pain to clean the chain :idunno: that is what I do when I change my chain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sometimes cheap is better. Use only Kerosene. Its cheap and won't hurt your O rings.Don't learn the hard way like me. I tried WD 40 thinking it would be best. Nope, wrecked the O rings after awhile. Then a buddy, who has shaft drive told me to use Gunk engine cleaner. Yup, there goes another chain. Sure it might not hurt rubber, but the O rings are made of Neoprene. So leave the chain on and just work on it. It will come up. Re lube when you are done though after letting it dry. :thumb:

·
Registered
847 Posts
klittlekdawg said:
Sometimes cheap is better. Use only Kerosene. Its cheap and won't hurt your O rings.Don't learn the hard way like me. I tried WD 40 thinking it would be best. Nope, wrecked the O rings after awhile. Then a buddy, who has shaft drive told me to use Gunk engine cleaner. Yup, there goes another chain. Sure it might not hurt rubber, but the O rings are made of Neoprene. So leave the chain on and just work on it. It will come up. Re lube when you are done though after letting it dry. :thumb:
Good tip. Kerosene is what DID recommends to clean their O-ring (X-ring) chains.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts