Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching the site, but the topic is too broad and I'm getting lots of different answers.

I'm about to replace my chain and sprockets and I'm looking for what to get next. I have heard to get DID only. I have heard RK only. I'm starting to go mad here. :eek: :crying:

I want the strongest chain 530 O-ring I can get. I have heard the DID ERV2 530 is that chain. But a Busa drag racing buddy of mine said that the RK ZVM series is the strongest. So .... :idunno:

I also don't know which sprockets are the best. Afam, Renthals, Vortex, etc.

And don't forget the master link. Clip style or pin.

I don't frequent tracks and I'm not a drag racer. I just want something that will last a while and not need adjustments every 100 miles.

Please help!!! Recommendations???

Much appreciated. :thumb:

·
Registered
309 Posts
What chain/sprocket is best? I don't know. I was in the same dilemma a few weeks ago. FWIW I went with the DID 530ZVM chain, and AFAM steel sprockets. My next door neighbor went through an aluminum Vortex rear sprocket in 3000 miles, that made my decision to go with a steel rear sprocket. I bought both 15t and 16t front sprockets for comparison purposes. Unless you spend much time at top speeds, I am now convinced that a 15t sprocket is the cheapest performance mod that you can do to your bike.

For the master link, the rivet type is stronger than the clip-on type. The rivet type link was included with the chain that I purchased.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Thanks! :thumb:

Now I have to figure out where to buy this.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
CRU said:
Cool! Thanks! :thumb:

Now I have to figure out where to buy this.
That's easy! Just click on Dan Kyle's link on this site!
I haven't had to replace my stock chain yet, but I'll go with DID when I do. I did change the sprockets and I purchased them from Dan. Got AFAM.

·
Registered
422 Posts
All chains are good :thumb: Its a matter of personal prefrence for the rider as to what you like.
DiD, RK, Regina are all good quality chains. Those big 530 chains are virtually industructible :smilebig:
If your looking for logevity of the new chain and sprocket i would definitly recomend steel sprockets over aluminum. AFAM, Vortex, RK are akll great choices. If your looking for weight reduction then i would switch a 520 chain conversion kit but with aluminum sprokets. They wont last as long :(

Just another tid bit of info for you if your intrested, Dont drop 1t on your countershaft. leave it at 16t. what happens with those big 530 chains is that you put undo stress of that big chain turning around a smaller circumfrance cause acelerated wear and stress. If you do anything you can go 1t bigger on the rear sprocket or 2t to get the effect of a 15t countershaft :clap: just my .02

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
If you were to go with a 520 conversion, Vortex has pretty hot sprocket available for the rear. It seems it would be quite durable and looks pretty trick. It is an aluminum carrier, titanium rivets, with steel teeth. :thumb: Again, only available for the 520 chain. I've seen others post that some of the 520 chains are actually stronger than some 530's :idunno:

If buying a DID, they will only give you a rivet style master link due to a lawsuit they were involved with last year. So, definately use the rivet style or risk losing a chain and being stranded.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
crazycuRRie said:
All chains are good :thumb: Its a matter of personal prefrence for the rider as to what you like.
DiD, RK, Regina are all good quality chains. Those big 530 chains are virtually industructible :smilebig:
If your looking for logevity of the new chain and sprocket i would definitly recomend steel sprockets over aluminum. AFAM, Vortex, RK are akll great choices. If your looking for weight reduction then i would switch a 520 chain conversion kit but with aluminum sprokets. They wont last as long :(

Just another tid bit of info for you if your intrested, Dont drop 1t on your countershaft. leave it at 16t. what happens with those big 530 chains is that you put undo stress of that big chain turning around a smaller circumfrance cause acelerated wear and stress. If you do anything you can go 1t bigger on the rear sprocket or 2t to get the effect of a 15t countershaft :clap: just my .02
Not really. And about the aluminum sprockets, that information is incorrect as well unless you aren't familiar with a little term called maintenance.

I ran the DID ERV racing 520 with AFAM aluminum rear/steel front (15 tooth) setup and would guess that I put on more stress to that system in any weekend than a street rider could possibly muster in 3 years. I adjusted my chain when I installed the setup and never needed to adjust it in 3 years of racing, track days, track schools and several tens of practice starts. When I sold my 929, the sprockets and chain were almost exactly like they were when I installed them. Fifteen teeth will not make enough of a difference on the circumference of the countershaft sprocket to cause ANY additional wear. If you clean your chain every few hundred miles and lube it the way you're supposed to (only when it's too hot to touch), then you will save weight, spend less money and have the proper setup for a long lasting, properly geared configuration.

If you never clean your chain and lube it when it's been sitting in the garage for 3 days, then I can guarantee that ANY chain/sprocket combination will fail prematurely.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks. I've decided on a DID 530 ZVM chain and a set of renthal steel sprockets. :hyper:

I'll be picking them up from kneedraggers.

Thanks to all that replied. :thumb:

Brandon

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the 520 conversion too and was wondering if it's OK to get a 15 and a 16t sprocket for the front and switch them occasionally since I don't have a 'track only' bike? I've tried the 15t with the stock chain and it does make a difference, but it's kinda buzzy on the highway and mpg definately suffers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
CRU said:
Thanks folks. I've decided on a DID 530 ZVM chain and a set of renthal steel sprockets. :hyper:

I'll be picking them up from kneedraggers.

Thanks to all that replied. :thumb:

Brandon
I've had this combination on my 929 for 26k miles now. It's still doing fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts