Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chain is not stretched to the 'replace' section of decal on swing arm, but can the rollers become loose from wear without necessarily be stretched to the replacement section/markings? The chain has about 13,300 miles on it and although I've been careful on the maintenance I have changed lube brands many times (some of which were junk) and have about (5) track days on them. I may check the slack again as I use a little more than the 1 3/4' and see where it lines up with markings. Any thoughts? One parts shop was sursprised I hadn't changed my chain yet, but I don't know if it was a sales related comment (if you know what I mean).

Thanks

(still unsure of how long I may have the 929 but it's going to be a long winter)

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I thought this was another thread on when Chain was going to replace his bike!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
SuperDave : but can the rollers become loose from wear without necessarily be stretched to the replacement section/markings?  
Yes.

But the real point here is that replacing a chain and sprockets is a pretty low-cost affair, so if you are contemplating things so intensely, just do it and put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red Rider :  I thought this was another thread on when Chain was going to replace his bike!  
Actually my next thread was on replacing Chain, but this one's on my bike's chain

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
See if your sprockets look worn. I've gotten 20k miles out of chains on my other bikes. I haven't found out yet how long the 929 chain will last. I'm guessing if you have aluminum sprockets as opposed to steel, it won't last for 20k, but I'm not sure. Does the chain have any kinks or tight spots?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
warchild had an active chain failure. As described, it was not for the faint-of-heart.

A mechanic told me to check the play of the chain on the spocket to see if the rollers are worn. I'd say if a chain has more than 10k on it, it could need replacing if you are worried about a failure.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HondaGalToo : See if your sprockets look worn.  I've gotten 20k miles out of chains on my other bikes.  I haven't found out yet how long the 929 chain will last.  I'm guessing if you have aluminum sprockets as opposed to steel, it won't last for 20k, but I'm not sure.   Does the chain have any kinks or tight spots?
Not really, although I did use a cheap brand lube on the chain once and it basically dryed out the rollers to where they were squeking when chain was rotated. If just feels as if the rollers have a bit more play now and unsure of general chain life vs wasting mony on sprockets and chain. <shrug>

Oh, sprocket teeth still look decent (not new, but not pointing either).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
figment : warchild had an active chain failure. As described, it was not for the faint-of-heart.

A mechanic told me to check the play of the chain on the spocket to see if the rollers are worn. I'd say if a chain has more than 10k on it, it could need replacing if you are worried about a failure.
Well I guess I'll look into replacing the stock chain with another 530 set. I'm not really worried about the chain failing (although I'd sh$t my pants if it ever did) I was more curious of whether I'm running on a chain/sprocket setup that was past it's replacement period. One last question, any noticable(riding wise) benefit with brand spanking new sprockets and chain?

Thanks to all who've responded already!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've got about 20,000 miles and 30 track days on my chain and sprockets. The teeth look fine, and the chain is at the middle of the adjustment range. The wear doesn't indicate that I should change it.

There are a few of links that are a little stiffer than the others, but that is about it. Anyone think I should change it because of that?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that if you pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the back edge, if you see more than one half of the sprocket tooth under the chain it's time for replacement.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That is a good way to check but every chain I've replaced on my 929 has gotten kinks long before it was near the wear indicator (19k miles stock chain, 24k miles DID Xring).

If there are any tight spots, replace it. The chain tension should be nearly the same around the entire lenght of chain.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have found that the chain will start needing adjustments quite frequently just before needing to be replaced and the chain tends to get rusty quickly after lubing (yes I lube my chain every 300/500 miles). I have about 20,000 on my VFR chain, and it is close to needing to be replaced. That mileage is on a cheap RK X-ring chain, so more miles can probably be realized on a better chain.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have over 21K on the chain on my 929 and it's fine.

How much does a like stock chain and sprocket set cost anyway??

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
There is actually a measurement to check if a chain is overstretched/worn, can't remember what the length is, but you measure a given number of links pin to pin and if it exceeds x length, you're supposed to replace it, think I saw that in a dirtbike service manual

·
Registered
548 Posts
Honda has the service limit listed in the service manual. For a given no. of links it can't be longer than the service limit. I think it needs to be streched with something like ten pounds of weight when the measurement is taken.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts