Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , my 954 needs a new chain. What are you guys running ? Why are there 520 conversions ? price ? weight ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
DID is best for chains and AFAM for sprockets. 520 conversion saves weight with an aluminum rear sprocket but as you can guess longevity is reduced. Lower gearing(-front/+rear) gives quicker acceleration while taking a little speed off the top. Strict chain clean/lube routine is the key to long life from your chain/sprockets(20,000+miles).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi rlg4675,

further to what exit90a said, a 520 conversion also gives you a significantly lighter chain - nearly a full kilo - and it removes weight from a key part of the bike, reducing inertia, so it's well worth considering.

I've run a DID520VM chain and found it to be excellent, though wouldn't go past an RK if the price was right.

Currently I'm running a RK520GXW with a VAZ steel front sprocket (15) and Talon alloy rear sprocket (43) which has been a great combination around Phillip Island.

I'm going to replace the front sprocket with an AFAM because the centre hole has not been punched correctly and the sprocket does not run true - making the chain run loose then tight (not massively but enough to make it noticeable when adjusting the chain - probably saps a little horsepower too).

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The 520 conversion saves a kg _if_ you run an aluminium rear sprocket. With a steel sprocket you only save half as much but it's still worthwhile. It reduces rotational inertia but it also reduces unsprung mass improving the rear suspension.
Are you sure the sprocket is made off-centre?
It is normal to have tight spots in the chain due to wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts