Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met a local owner of a new GSX-R1000 today. Friend on the job introduced us a couple weeks back. Nice fellow, in car sales. We met for coffee in the Old Market downtown, some convo... and then a morning ride.

The bad news is it rained on us most of the morning. Not torrents, but a soft and steady pitter that was more than enough to totally wet the roads and leave the bikes a muddy mess. The good news is, we switched machines for the trip back to Omaha after a run down the southern stretches of the Loess Hills Scenic Byway in Western Iowa.

Before I provide my thoughts on the two machines, keep in mind I'm the ex-owner of a 2001 Gixxer 1000 and have routinely defended the Suzuki supersport in various threads here. All you need is a search a good memory to know that.

My assessment then.

Appearance

While the new Gixxer's not a bad looking machine at any angle, the lines and sculpting of the 954 are clearly in Honda's favor, particularly when the bikes are side by side. The cockpit of the '54 is much tidier, far more kept. The top triple clamp is prettier and the switchgear more precise feeling. Paintwork is about the same, but Honda simply finishes their bike out more nicely than does Suzook.

Ergos

The Honda is definitely the more comfy mount overall. I will say this much... the Gixxer's stock saddle is light years more plush than the Honda's. But the Suzuki's pegs -while no more rearset than the 954's- are noticeably higher, and the clip-ons noticeably lower and a bit more dog-eared. I find this 2003 Gix more comfy than the '01 I owned, but it's not as nice a fit as my 954 is (I'm 6'3'/220 fwiw).

Ride & Handling

I've got my stock suspension sorted out pretty well for street riding and can only assume the Suzuki's still at stock settings with about 900 miles on the clock, but the bike's very firm. Lots of high speed compression damnping jarred me across bumps and expansion joints. The handling seemed roughly the Blade's equivalent. Due to the factory damper fitted to the Gixxer, the steering isn't any slower or quicker than my SCOTTS' equipped 954. Because of the rain, we were somewhat conservative in the twisties, but we did ride long enough to warm the tires and heel the bikes over in some sweepers. Both felt very stable and inspired alot of confidence.

Power & Acceleration

I sure wish it hadn't been raining this morning. The Suzuki is indeed a powerful machine. It seems just a bit peakier and taller geared than the CBR when operating down low. I can almost let the clutch out and roll away from a stop like I'm on a twin when aboard my Honda; by contrast, the Gixxer took a little more revving and careful modulation of the clutch to leave a stoplight. I couldn't use WFO on the Suzuki in anything but the top two gears. Even as I was rolling the throttle open in 6th to pass a lumbering, water spraying semi, the Gixxer spun its rear wheel on the wet asphalt. I was a bit surprised. It did dry out enough toward the end of our trek home on the slab that we were able to do WFO top gear roll-ons. The Suzuki didn't run away from the 954 at any time, but who knows what might happen above 100 on fully dried concrete in lower gears (we never saw more than the century mark in our 'testing' today). One thing's for sure. While I doubt the Honda would be left for dead in just about any street riding scenario, the new Gixxer is indeed a formidable motorcycle, flickering additions of miles-per-hour on the digital speedo coming in big chunks with very incremental additions of throttle. The bike groans with a distinct growl while under power as well, even with the stock exhaust.

In the end, I have to say I liked the Suzuki less than I thought I would have. And that's saying alot (see previous pro-Gixxer remarks). The Honda is truly the prettier, more polished, more comfortable motorcycle, one which is still bloody fast and a real bargain too; I see guys buying new 2003's for nearly two grand less than the list price commanding GSX-R. A guy cannot ignore the value of the 954 then.

Until dry pavement and a second test ride comes this way...

END OF REPORT

·
Registered
435 Posts
Chain : Met a local owner of a new GSX-R1000 today. Friend on the job introduced us a couple weeks back. Nice fellow, in car sales. We met for coffee in the Old Market downtown, some convo... and then a morning ride.
First of all...THIS sounds a little  Second your banned for mentioning the GSXR 1000

·
Registered
435 Posts
just a little joke. No offense if you really are he sounds like a sweetheart. Did you frolick in the meadow after your double frappaccino?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
So did you remember to wash your hands and your posterior after touching and sitting on the gixxer?

I have no doubt that the sucky-sucky is a very good bike, in many ways better than the fiddy, and have for some time now preached that the single biggest factor distinguishing the top four bikes is up to personal taste/preference.

Too bad that the weather didn't cooperate. Maybe both you and the other rider would've come out with somewhat different impressions of the bikes

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
No bickering or the .org police will be in here for some overmoderation, *cough* I mean moderating You guys

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Cliff : just a little joke.  No offense if you really are he sounds like a sweetheart.  Did you frolick in the meadow after your double frappaccino?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Good write up Chain. Thanks

I would like to ride the GSXR1000 and judge/review it, still gotta believe there would be a huge smile afterwards.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Heavy-Dee : Thanks for the write up Chain.  You consistently impress me.
Cliff I think we have 2 contestants for the frollicking fields of joy here, super J/K Heavy

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a feeling I'm going to regret this post later, but I'm going to speak my mind anyway.

For the record I LIKE CLIFF & BOOTH, so I'm not going to overreact and flame them for what I'm sure were well intended attempts at humor, but this sort of stuff is an example of what drags the board down IMHO. There can't be a single thread without at least one wiseass remark anymore. Everyone's got to be comic when they post. I grow weary of it. I'd rather have more serious sportbike discussion as opposed the to continual stream of ha-ha funny this, ha-ha funny that. To be quite blunt, it's a tired act.

Now go search the archives so you can show me my own posts which are of the variety I'm bitching about.

I don't know, maybe my sore back and lack of caffeine have me in a foul mood today.

<awaiting the 'lighten up Francis!' replies>

Edit: typo

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I'm locking this thread because of all the gay bashing. (Just kidding). Nice informative review!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
My roomate bought a new Gixxer 1K last week. It was the all silver one, and I think it looks better than any stock US model Fireblade. The only thing I don't really like is the taillight.

Unfortunately I didn't get to ride it as it was immediately stripped to turn into a racebike.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
luvtolean : My roomate bought a new Gixxer 1K last week.  It was the all silver one, and I think it looks better than any stock US model Fireblade.  The only thing I don't really like is the taillight.  

Unfortunately I didn't get to ride it as it was immediately stripped to turn into a racebike.
The all silver looks sweet. I saw one the other day, very nice.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm pretty sick of the Blue Suzuki's and definately don't like the white tail on the new 1k, but the silver is sweet. Of course I may be biased.

How were the brakes compared to the 954?

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Great comparo Chain. Although I would never get rid of my 954, I would like to throw a leg over one of those sometime.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Skully : How were the brakes compared to the 954?
I didn't get to ride it, but he says they're much better.

The chassis is stiffened, the geometry is a little better, and the stock suspension is even better than the old Gixxer. It sounds like an awesome package.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts