Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Changing piston

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bladeracer 
#1 ·
My 2006 CBR1000rr's engine just started knocking really bad. Have been a serious truck mechanic for over 20 years and do all my own work on the bikes but wondering how difficult it is to change pistons in these engines. If anyone has done this do you have a time estimate in hours and if it was worth changing pistons or just getting a new engine.

#2 ·
My 2006 CBR1000rr's engine just started knocking really bad. Have been a serious truck mechanic for over 20 years and do all my own work on the bikes but wondering how difficult it is to change pistons in these engines. If anyone has done this do you have a time estimate in hours and if it was worth changing pistons or just getting a new engine.

Knocking piston?
Are you sure it's not a rod bearing?
Pistons require totally stripping the engine.

#3 ·
Well it could certainly be the rod bearing. If that is the case, do you still have to split the case in half? I'm actually the son of the mechanic who owns the bike because he isn't very good working on the computer. Also do you know of any sites in particular that have used engines besides ebay if we decided to just replace the whole engine? Thanks

#4 ·
Well it could certainly be the rod bearing. If that is the case, do you still have to split the case in half? I'm actually the son of the mechanic who owns the bike because he isn't very good working on the computer. Also do you know of any sites in particular that have used engines besides ebay if we decided to just replace the whole engine? Thanks
You still need to split the cases but you can leave the head on and just flip the engine over. Before you split the cases you _might_ be able to reach in there through the clutch cover or oil pan and check if any of the rods has any play in it. You can also remove the plugs and rotate the engine by hand to pull each piston to just before the bottom of the stroke and then poke a screwdriver in and see if you can push the piston down a little further. The spun bearing would have to be pretty bad to be noticable this way, unless you use a dial gauge or long vernier to measure it. Obviously there should be no movement at all if the bearing is good.
Check the Fireblades.Org For Sale forum but you can also try Craigs List and send off emails to every motorcycle wrecker in your area.
If you get totally stuck I know of an engine here but shipping would be high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.