Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding my 01 929 with a 44 rear sprocket and stock front, but the back lost a tooth and others thin. Looking around I see the RK quick acceleration kit, and was wondering the difference between 1 down in the front to 1 up in the back.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I have been riding my 01 929 with a 44 rear sprocket and stock front, but the back lost a tooth and others thin. Looking around I see the RK quick acceleration kit, and was wondering the difference between 1 down in the front to 1 up in the back.

Roughly three to one difference as the front sprocket is roughly one-third the size of the rear. One down on the front is fairly minor though and is usually just the starting point for most people as they often go up a couple on the rear as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would go with just -1 on the front spocket, surely with more on the rear youll be in 6th in no time and will be expecting another gear.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I would go with just -1 on the front spocket, surely with more on the rear youll be in 6th in no time and will be expecting another gear.

Perhaps you should try it first.
One off the front is _minor_ for gearing changes.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I recomende -1 on front and +3 rear, chain size will be same with no problems.
I'd be surprised if you can run the stock chain length with more than -1/+2 unless the chain is very worn.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
how big is the difference with that setup?

It's simple math.
42/16 is 2.625:1.
45/15 is 3.000:1.
Around 14% difference in engine speed at the same road speed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much does it take off the top end? My bike isn't stretched and with one up in back and a power commander the bike wants to pop the front up shifting to second and third.

I'm looking for a good balance for an all around riding experience, I love snappy acceleration, popping willies, and high speeds. So the 1 down in the front would be more mild then 1 up in the back?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
How much does it take off the top end? My bike isn't stretched and with one up in back and a power commander the bike wants to pop the front up shifting to second and third.

I'm looking for a good balance for an all around riding experience, I love snappy acceleration, popping willies, and high speeds. So the 1 down in the front would be more mild then 1 up in the back?

You can lower the gearing to around 15/45 before you lose any top end speed.
I wouldn't be concerned about the top speed as that gets boring real quick.
No, +1 on the rear is more mild than -1 on the front.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a percent that the speed is off after you change the sprocket size? I seemed like the one in the back made mine read about 10 MPH faster then I was going.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Is there a percent that the speed is off after you change the sprocket size? I seemed like the one in the back made mine read about 10 MPH faster then I was going.

Yes, just as there is a percentage of error with the stock gearing.
There is no fixed percentage but it is fairly stable up to 70mph or so when aerodynamic drag becomes significant. The error then increases from that point.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, just as there is a percentage of error with the stock gearing.
There is no fixed percentage but it is fairly stable up to 70mph or so when aerodynamic drag becomes significant. The error then increases from that point.
Well riding around 10 mph over the speed limit I still have cars passing me like im going under it. Unless people just drive faster when im on my bike then when I drive my SUV.

Also I don't understand what 520 and 530 conversions are, is that thickness and what difference does it make?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Well riding around 10 mph over the speed limit I still have cars passing me like im going under it. Unless people just drive faster when im on my bike then when I drive my SUV.

Also I don't understand what 520 and 530 conversions are, is that thickness and what difference does it make?

Being a percentage of your speed it can only be 10mph at one specific speed.
Yes, chains are mesured in 1/8" increments.
All 5xx series chain is 5/8" pitch.
520 is 2/8" wide.
530 is 3/8" wide.
525 is 5/16" wide.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
So what is the pros and cons of the thickness?

The only real pro is that the smaller chain is lighter thus burns up less power.
The con is slightly shorter life in the chain and sprockets as the load is applied over less surface area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts