Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love the way the RC exhaust sounds. Some nice pipes and that thing is a symphony. I really like the twin sound in general.

Well, my WRX (this is going somewhere) has four cylinders. It, however, sounds very much like a twin, which is, of course, very uncharacteristic for a car. It accomplishes this by design: it has unequal length headers, which cause the exhaust pulses to arrive in staggered pairs of two.

So... I theorize that a similar sound could be achieved from a Blade (or any I4/V4), by appropriately rerouting the exhaust/lengthening two of the header pipes.

Why do it? Well, to have that sweet twin burble, with all the I4 performance

Oh, if you're not quite certain, I am certifiably

Comments?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
booth23 : go buy a twin and be done with it.  
Oh boothie... I am so disappointed I fully expected for you to unleash this utterly appropriate emoticon:

(I'm working on getting a twin, yes I am )

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G-Force Junkie : Or if your board, you could make a new crank and cams that fired two cylinders at the same time every revolution

Genius!

I'll just change the firing order to get that authentic potato-potato feel!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
nope. never without a lot bigger pistons and valves...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
120 Posts
You're blade could never sound the way your wrx does because... first of all it's less than half the displacement.  Secondly, a boxer motor will always sound different than an inline.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fusion929rr : Secondly, a boxer motor will always sound different than an inline.
Hmm. The WRX with equal-length headers sounds pretty much like any other (turboed) I4

Stock WRX header on bottom:

Equal-length header (note the convoluted piping needed to equal the length of the far-end pistons):

Anyways, it's just a feasability theory based on this single experience with the WRX.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
The WRX sounds WAY different to any I4 car. If anything, it sound skind alike a VERY hi tech VW beetle engine - though that does no justice to the WRX - maybe I should say, sound slike a 911 with 2 missing cylinders

The flat 4 will always sound different to an I4. Life sucks like that... Enjoy the f4 sound, it is great to behold

Z...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts