Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right...

I've had the 09 blade for ..... a few weeks, and I changed the oil/filter at 550kms or so after initial break in. I'm up to 1200km's or so, and thinking about a 1500km change. I have, however, been paranoid about oil consumption as the 08 had a few problems from what I've read. At any rate, the 'dipstick' method is a right pain in the ass compared to the window check, and it's been giving me different readings...

I went for a quick 200km ride on the weekend and had the thing from medium to high rpm, so this morning I did a check on the oil. As per the manual, got it warm (about 70 degrees), let it sit for 5 mins, and checked it. Was showing bottom third of the dipstick. After the initial tantrum I threw thinking it was burning oil, I decided to check it again after work. I rode to work (25kms or so), let the bike sit for 10-15 mins, and then checked it again (with a friends help holding it upright). This time it showed full.

Now I'm guessing I must be a bit stupid, but why would it not be showing full the first time? Should I only be taking a reading after the bike is completely warmed up (as in 10min+ ride)? Is it an inaccurate reading if I took the reading 15 minutes after stopping the bike?....

I thought I'd double/triple check this arvo. So tried the 5 mins running/3 mins stopped check.. and bottom half again. And then when home it read full.

A bit of info as to why it's reading low when I check as per the manual would be great.

Tom.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
At any rate, the 'dipstick' method is a right pain in the ass compared to the window check, and it's been giving me different readings...
As long as you leave it long enough for the oil to drain from the head back into the sump you should get similar readings.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you leave it long enough for the oil to drain from the head back into the sump you should get similar readings.
Thought maybe it could be something as simple as not holding the dipstick in there long enough... but it's not that thick.....

Would a check in the morning when it's cold be a bad idea?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thought maybe it could be something as simple as not holding the dipstick in there long enough... but it's not that thick.....

Would a check in the morning when it's cold be a bad idea?
It would be fine :)
Are you checking with the bike held vertically and not on a rear stand?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Getting the Mrs to sit on it and hold it upright...... and she's getting sick of burning her legs every time I check it after a ride....
All that really matters is that the bike is in the same position if you want comparable readings :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Aren't these bikes supposed to be dipped when they're on the side stand? Can't imagine that Honda would design something that needed holding up with one hand whilst checking the oil level with the other hand?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Aren't these bikes supposed to be dipped when they're on the side stand? Can't imagine that Honda would design something that needed holding up with one hand whilst checking the oil level with the other hand?
I'm not aware of any bikes that check oil level when it isn't vertical and on the ground.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked it again this morning cold, and the thing was reading at about 4/5 up between low and high. So I still dont get it. Both times after taking it when it was fully warmed (running up to 105 degrees), and then let sit, it's showed full, but then cold (when all oil should have drained down into the sump) it's showing about 80%.....

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Checked it again this morning cold, and the thing was reading at about 4/5 up between low and high. So I still dont get it. Both times after taking it when it was fully warmed (running up to 105 degrees), and then let sit, it's showed full, but then cold (when all oil should have drained down into the sump) it's showing about 80%.....

Any thoughts?
Nope - no clues at all sorry.

·
Registered
207 Posts
there is a certain procedure outlined in the manual on how to check the oil level. It has to be run and allowed to sit and then checked while while straight up, not on the stand. just ride it and quit worrying about it!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
i don't think you really have much to worry about, running it a little low won't really hurt anything as long as you're changing your oil on time. to me it sounds like you have enough in there as it is though..

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey Bladeracer- the Buells funnily enough- they should be on their sidestand when checking the (hot) oil.
I was talking about bikes though.
My brother test rode a Buell in Adelaide.
He was so impressed, he parked it and rang them to pick up the piece of junk themselves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
He was so impressed, he parked it and rang them to pick up the piece of junk themselves.
:rotfl:

They certainly require an "open mind". I had one, but dont tell anyone. Resale was brilliant which amazed me considering.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn! Didn't think Buell's were so poorly viewed... Never ridden one myself. Why such a bad rap?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Damn! Didn't think Buell's were so poorly viewed... Never ridden one myself. Why such a bad rap?
Maybe because they're a Harley would be my guess.
A 1920's tractor motor with a wheel on each end - you'd hardly expect anything good :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
the owners handbook says: run the engine 3~5 mins; wait 2~3 mins; hold the bike upright; remove dip stick & wipe clean; re insert dip stick without screwing it; wait, remove & check level. Alternatively you might like to do what I do:
1- after an oil change run the engine or after a short ride put the bike on side stand which has a wooden block to hold it as vertical as poss (without it falling on its side of course) on a flat surface
2- go 7 make youself a warm drink & sandwich & leisurely consume
3- unscrew the dip stick , wipe & reisnert (without screwing)
4-give it a couple of minutes (while admiring your bike) remove & check level
Now you have your reference point cause you know you have the right qty of oil in. From now on if you check the same way, you should get sensible results

1 - 20 of 20 Posts