Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy all,

I have been trying to diagnose a strange issue on a 1996 CBR900RR. Purchased about a year ago from a collector.
The bike is pristine is and has been stored in climate controlled environment for as long as I am aware of. No fueling issues, balanced carbs, clean, stored with non ethanol VP fuel, fresh battery.

It starts perfectly, but on occasion just completely dies. Starts right back up instantly. It will idle for 10 minutes no problem. Then the next time it dies in 2 minutes. Then some other random timeframe. Sometimes on restart will backfire and kick back against the starter. Ugly gear noise. Replaced the starter with no effect.

Is there an common electrical failure point, such as ignition or cdi? Maybe temperature related? Open to any suggestion that helps prevent replacing everything 1 by 1. I am leaning toward someone overvolted it and fried something that controls spark/fuel.

A trusted shop with a tech who used to race this very model bike is also at a loss, although still digging, as the issue is so intermittent.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I hate intermittent faults. You have my sympathy. Sounds like electrical/ignition considering the backfire which suggests that the fault appeared momentarily and then reconnected to give you a spark at the wrong time. Catching the fault on for example a datalogger is almost impossible, I would go for replacing components 1 by 1 until the fault goes away. Try starting with the cam position sensor, or anything which is easy to reach and not too expensive and which could affect the spark. Which you are no doubt already doing.....Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts