Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my oil filler cap the other day and lost a bit of oil but not sure how much. i recently did an oil filter/oil change so i know it was full at the time.

my problem is that i dont have the original cap with dipstick, and everything I have read online and in haynes says that is the way to check. also cant find the right dipstick on ebay

does anyone know what i can do to check the oil level, or where i can get a dipstick?

any help would be much appreciated! thanks!

tom

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Can't help with a dipstick, but I found this (for an NC23).
from the dipstick road itself (excluding the scew in part)
its
5.6cm long

from the screw cap side of the max mark on the dipstick is
3.7cm down

from the scew cap side of the minimum mark on the dipstick is
5.3cm down
Use a stick of equal length and measure :)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Just JFGI'd, and it was one of the links on the first page. :)

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Give David Silver a try for the dipstick..

·
Registered
208 Posts
The info given above is from a post i asked about, when i lost my dipstick. Not sure its right for the 29 though.. but will check asap. You can try Graeme France at gfracinguk.com he will have some used in stock in for sure.

Length of stick, taken from just under the plastic knob is 49mm. High mark 37mm and mid point is 44mm. All taken with a plastic ruler so isnot perfect but should get you away. Go for 44mm ish. Level from the normal knob resting point

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The 29 has a shorter dipstick (by about 5mm), but the full mark *should* be in the same place. (again, according to a forum found via google - I can't confirm).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The info given above is from a post i asked about, when i lost my dipstick. Not sure its right for the 29 though.. but will check asap. You can try Graeme France at gfracinguk.com he will have some used in stock in for sure.

Length of stick, taken from just under the plastic knob is 49mm. High mark 37mm and mid point is 44mm. All taken with a plastic ruler so isnot perfect but should get you away. Go for 44mm ish. Level from the normal knob resting point
thanks for your help, i cant find any online at either of the sites you guys have recommended (although thanks for telling me about them- will use them for other stuff for sure). so i will try and make my own, the question with those measurements is:
does the plastic knob go inside the filler when taking a measurement, in other words is it 44mm from the rim or further down?

cheers

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi, the knob sits on the inner edge and is fairly level with this edge, so take your reading frim there. Regarding buying the parts, email graeme france as he will have the part. Also david silver if you prefer new. Mention its an nc29 in your mai, not just a cbr400.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts