Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some forums on this site that said chroming the CBR can actually damage the metal.

1. Is this true?
2. Is powdercoating any better?

At the end of this season I was thinking about doing one or the other to the stock wheels that I have. Was gonna get a mesh kit and do the same either powdercoat/chrome. Just wondering if anyone had any input.

Also, why the hell are sport bike rims so much more than car rims????

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

Pick up a bike wheel in one hand and an aluminium car wheel in the other - that's why.
What I want to know is why do Americans refer to wheels as rims?
Rims only applies to spoked wheels which went out of fashion years ago.
When you put new rims on your vehicle you laced them up to your original hub.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
too funny bladeracer, so true though!!!! just like when people refer to the hunk of metal inside a car as a motor, it's really an engine.

Bruce I would go the powdercoat route. there are so many better options out there, (of course i'm just not a fan of chrome) colorwise endless possibilities.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I powder coated my stock wheels which had 50,000 miles on them and I am very pleased with the results. The wheels look brand new and the coating is infinitely more durable than chrome and a fraction of the price of a new set. If you're gonna do this find a reputable shop that specializes in polishing and coatings and ask to see some samples of actual parts that have been coated (some shops have a book of available colors but the end product may be slightly different so seeing an actual coated part is preferred). If you just must have the "bling" than chrome is the way to go but if you want the most durable, cheapest, and easiest to take care of option I would highly recommend going with the powder coat. Just a heads up, if you go to a coating/ polish specialty shop they will not break down the wheels for you so make sure and remove the tires as well as the bearings, dust covers, brake rotors, etc. before giving them to the shop.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wil always say powdercoat for anything sport bike. chrome is heavy, and hard to keep clean. not to mention chrome on a sportbike looks silly IMO

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have seen some forums on this site that said chroming the CBR can actually damage the metal.

1. Is this true?
2. Is powdercoating any better?

At the end of this season I was thinking about doing one or the other to the stock wheels that I have. Was gonna get a mesh kit and do the same either powdercoat/chrome. Just wondering if anyone had any input.

Some car wheels are REALLY expensive! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
go with whatever you like and whatever your pocketbook will allow you .. Its your bike , which ever you decide will be for your own personal enjoyment who cares what others think of your bike ..
Chrome if you dont have any on your bike then i would stay away because once you start chroming one thing it will never end ..

Powdercoating . as stated above make sure you see some finished products or samples becuase alot of time the sample color chips they show you don't always come out as promised and when its finished and deposit and such can turn into wasted $$$ if your going a custom color ..example . i had some wheels powerdercoated gold<atleast they were supposed to be > and the shop even had one on the rack for show when my wheels were done they looked like a mustard/ vanilla custard color which clearly wasnt the same as the metallic gold finished wheel they were showcasing .. But Pc'ing it alot cheaper then chrome ..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbd::thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:
Pick up a bike wheel in one hand and an aluminium car wheel in the other - that's why.
What I want to know is why do Americans refer to wheels as rims?
Rims only applies to spoked wheels which went out of fashion years ago.
When you put new rims on your vehicle you laced them up to your original hub.

way to reply to a post and not give an answer. next time try to give an answer instead of an opinion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CBR pictures by brudy17 - Photobucket

This is what my bike looks like. I think that a powder coat would look really sweet. Was thinking about doing a powder coat red. But White might look good too although I feel like white would get dirty super fast.

Any idea on what the cost of the Powder Coat job has been for anyone else? We have a couple of GREAT shops around my area.

·
Registered
104 Posts
that was the answer .. pick up one in one hand then the other in the other hand ... My guess is that machining the bike wheel for spocket carrier and such plus that its aftermarket .. but i can find wheels cheaper for my bike then i can for my Benz .. The wheels i wish i had for my bike cost 2 grand the wheels i wish i had for my Benz cost 5 ..

·
Registered
104 Posts
its up to you .. white will be more a bitch to clean ..Think it looks great just the way it is ..
I paid $250 for gold pc. because the color was supposed to be metallic .. ive heard places that charge $50 a wheel .. but IMHO .. you get what you pay for .. in my case i didnt get what i thought i paid for . Just remember that you will need new bearings for each wheel because the old ones have to be pushed out .. If you know somone personally that does them or have a friend that can refer you might get come out no spending as much as some who just walk in and say .. How much to PC these Rims*>lol blade>

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have to say that picking them up for a weight difference would be very obvious. And here is another way to think of it.. How much does your car weigh...how much does the bike weigh...

I think that the weight is probably proportional and that the reason for the difference in cost is because they are not as highly massed produced. That is MY OPINION, and i could be wrong.

New question:
How long are the tires good for?

When I bought the bike last summer there were a brand new pair of tires on it for me. I figured when I did the PC I would get new tires while I was at it. I have put about 4k on it since last summer. Probably by the end of this summer the tires will have close to 7-8k.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats my rim. I did it myself with PC stuff from Eastwood.
I am familiar with the magazine. How much did you pay for your whole PC setup? Oven/Gun and did you get the Sand Blasting Bay?? I was looking at some prices and I could be looking at a couple hundred for my wheels and some other various parts.

·
Registered
420 Posts
go powder coating, for the price some shops want for chroming u can just about buy aftermarket wheels, which would be my choice....

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my '01 929rr with gloss red powder coated wheels. Someone had mentioned white wheels and problems with clean up. My wheels get brake dust, grime, chainlube, and everything else on them but the gloss finish makes them a breeze to clean up with just a rag and some soapy water. Not to mention the finish will probably last longer than your bike. I think I paid $200 a wheel and the new bearings installed (because I dont have a large press) were not very expensive.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

way to reply to a post and not give an answer. next time try to give an answer instead of an opinion.

Say what?
I gave no opinion at all and simply answered the question you asked.
The answer is one wheel is a _lot_ lighter than the other, and that costs money both in material and quality control.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I would have to say that picking them up for a weight difference would be very obvious. And here is another way to think of it.. How much does your car weigh...how much does the bike weigh...

I think that the weight is probably proportional and that the reason for the difference in cost is because they are not as highly massed produced. That is MY OPINION, and i could be wrong.

New question:
How long are the tires good for?

When I bought the bike last summer there were a brand new pair of tires on it for me. I figured when I did the PC I would get new tires while I was at it. I have put about 4k on it since last summer. Probably by the end of this summer the tires will have close to 7-8k.

So now you answer your own question with an _opinion_ but that's okay...
Do you mean how long before they deteriorate or how much mileage can you get out of them?
Six years from manufacture is the legal limit here. Mileage depends on how you ride more than anything else - anything from 1000 miles to 20000 miles give or take.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts