Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this chunk of aluminum in my cylinder.... all resulting from a spark plug change... don't ask. If anybody has any good ideas on how to get it out without pulling my motor and pulling the head I would really appreciate it. It's a 2000 929.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
How big are we talkin'?

That is a damn tricky problem.

Any chance of getting it with one of those "claws" you see at parts stores?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Coat hanger with something tacky on the end? :idunno: Give us more details and we might be able to help....

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Cook seamus dinner and have him flip the bike over and shake it out.

Ok. Sorry could not help it.

How did the piece get in there? did you drop it in there or was it found in the cyl?

IF the exhaust velve is open. You could remove the header and blow compressed air through the exhaust port and hope it comes out that way. The shop vac thing sounds interestin as well.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
luvtolean said:
How big are we talkin'?

That is a damn tricky problem.

Any chance of getting it with one of those "claws" you see at parts stores?
You're the expert...you should be able to just walk him through on the phone, no?

:evilaugh:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
for the shop vac to be even possible the intake and exhaust ports both have to be closed so you can even attempt to get enough suction in there. I doubt it'll work because you probably won't get a very good seal around the plug hole. If the exhaust port is open that would probably work. still gotta take the headers off and put the plug in.

Of course all this is moot if the valves aren't in either of the postions because you can't just turn the engine over manually.

I wouldn't use a coat hanger for fear of scratching the cylinder wall. A small extending pointer (or magnet) might work with something tacky on the end.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Silly putty around the plug hole to form a seal with the shop vac (or the "Pete") and suck away.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
Silly putty around the plug hole to form a seal with the shop vac (or the "Pete") and suck away.
I just called you smart the other day and now you go and say something dumb like that, especially after I had just mentioned how to plug the hole (put the plug in it)

·
Registered
847 Posts
CBR929RE said:
Of course all this is moot if the valves aren't in either of the postions because you can't just turn the engine over manually.
Technically you can, but it's probably not a good idea with a loose piece of metal in there.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
EatnAsphalt said:
Technically you can, but it's probably not a good idea with a loose piece of metal in there.
yeah pretty much what I was getting at. also a little bit of a project to turn the engine manually with it fully assembled.

and Phobe "beefcake, beefcake"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The chunk is about the size of like half a pinky nail. I tried vaccuming with a household vaccum with no luck already. I was going to close off the valves and try blowing an air compressor in there and hope for a miracle. I think I'm alright to turn the motor over by hand slowly. Also a friend of mine that is a mechanic said to just leave the spark plug out and crank it. I really don't like that idea though, scares me just thinking about it. Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
CBR929RE said:
I just called you smart the other day and now you go and say something dumb like that, especially after I had just mentioned how to plug the hole (put the plug in it)
No shit. I meant to put the putty there in a donut-shaped blob around the hole, not in it fucknut. Then you could form an air-tight seal with the vaccuum nozzle. Plug off the airbox breather and see if you can suck it out.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Blur929RR said:
Also a friend of mine that is a mechanic said to just leave the spark plug out and crank it. I really don't like that idea though, scares me just thinking about it. Thanks for your help guys
Speaking from the experience of a washer falling down there and bending a valve (the first session at Fireblade.org days) I can tell you if that piece of shit aluminum gets up there and the valve closes while it's on the seat, it will bend the valve.

DO NOT do that. If it was a 2 stroke, I'd advise as your "mechanic" friend has. But not on a sportbike with tiny, fragile, titanium valves.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The chunk is about the size of like half a pinky nail.
Well, try a "claw" or a magnet with a healthy daub of grease on the end. And say hail mary's or pray to whomever it is you do to.

This isn't sounding good man.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Another vote for not cranking the motor over with this piece still in it. If the claw does not get it I would suggest pulling the head.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Get a peice of 1\4 inch fuel line and adapt it to fit your vacuum. Then you can reach in and grab the metal with no problem.

I don't see putty working - then you will have two chunks of trash to get out.

Grease may work to some degree, and who cares if that falls off. It'll burn - or stick to the plug and foul it.

As for the fuel line - start with the 1\4 inch and connect other "short" peices of hose, larger in diameter to it until you can successfully duct-tape it to the vacuum hose.

·
Registered
381 Posts
"Get a peice of 1\4 inch fuel line and adapt it to fit your vacuum. Then you can reach in and grab the metal with no problem."

+1 do what he said

1 - 20 of 38 Posts