Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the new 8125 from Cingular.... word is out yet, but so far incredible!

The screen is awesome and the keyboard........ best one I have used so far.

WI FI, Blue Tooth, you name it......

Will give a better review after a couple of days.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've had mone for about a week. It is very cool... Personally, I love the ability to sync with Activesync via Bluetooth. :cool: It's a little slow at times, especially when changing aspects. But that's to be expected considering it's running Windows Mobile... :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
sheepofblue said:
I looked at such a beast casually in an airport. Doesn't it have a USB connector? If so you could set it up for emergency PCIII map reloading also :thumb:
It does, in fact... It's nice to see them going the way of standardized connectors. No more proprietary data cables! :D You may be on to something with the PC. Even better, it has a serial IR port. Now all I need is an IR port in the tail connected to the serial port on the PC and I could do wireless PC map switches... :evilaugh:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK:

Run down of some things:

Battery is good, I have not seen the total stand by time, but I can get through a whole day running it, games, calling, bluetooth, and still have 60%in the battery, no too bad.

Speed is a little slow compared to my Dell Axim, but what do you expect from a thing that is running many functions. Cell Phone, Text Messages, Internet, WI Fi, and etc....

Went to Best Buy today and got a One Gig mini sd card.... cheap. Not happy it is mini, because I have probably 12 gigs of sd cards. While at Best Buy Proxied in to there Wi Fi with permission and used the internet while there.... very cool! Even got a better price because Circuit City was cheaper and they matched the price, once I showed them on my cell phone.

Took very cool photos and video of the little guy today. Was fun to see that the clarity is nice and comes with a cheap flash, but it does work. It also constantly lights for when using the camcorder in the dark.

WARNING: Be very careful when you are using the internet. If you want to use the Internet outside of WI FI, get the unlimited DATA PLAN. I have the basic plan and a few days in to ownership and am 1/2 through the allowed KBs. Once past, very expensive.... so be careful.

Typical.... unhappy note, like lots of PDAs not very good in sunny conditions, which makes it a pain for cell use. But, when almost all of you calls are voice dialed.... who cares.

I highly recommend it, it will cost you some coin, but no more of me carrying the cell in one pocket the axim in the other, keys, school keys, wallet and etc... Plus I will be able to grade students and take attendance on the fly with this since my schools have WI FI. Sweet Deal

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
So my company thinks I should have an 8125 (nationwide 950min and unlimited data plan) should I get the Treo or anything or are all of you with these still happy?

I wasn't too familiar with the company that made them for Cing, but after reading it seems anyone with this unit is pretty happy. I didn't realize it can do .11g as well, thats a neat trick...but I just dig the keypad and the ability to converge the work stuff onto one device :)

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
ND4SPD said:
The Windoz based Treo's are pretty solid. Quite a few clients have them as does my boss, with no complaints. But, there's something wrong about running 'doz on a Palm device :idunno:
Yeah I cannot get that, PalmOS was one of the few reasons I still had thought about one of those....but, that aside - the Treo still looks like a piece of toast to me or something...its look has always been odd to me.
I'm digging the 8125 more and more I look at it, its a cool package - co worker just let me use his 8125 for a few, seems solid.

:thumbd: miniSD though, wtf...so much SD kicking around now arg!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just bought a Motorola Q last monday when it released, but it is only available through Verizon. This phone freakin rocks, after 5 years of various Blackberry devices Windows Mobile 5.0 is a huge step up. Plus being Windows based it is easy to tweak the OS, Verizon EVDO is really fast also, I tethered it to my laptop and I get 500KB Down 150KB up, not bad for a mobile phone.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
BladeRider said:
Just bought a Motorola Q last monday when it released, but it is only available through Verizon. This phone freakin rocks, after 5 years of various Blackberry devices Windows Mobile 5.0 is a huge step up. Plus being Windows based it is easy to tweak the OS, Verizon EVDO is really fast also, I tethered it to my laptop and I get 500KB Down 150KB up, not bad for a mobile phone.
completely awesome...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:thumbd: miniSD though, wtf...so much SD kicking around now arg![/quote]

The 8125 is awesome... if you are a palm person go with the treo... if you are a windows mobile.... go with the 8125... I was at AMA Races at Road America... checking work emails and posting here with no problems.... the mini SD is fine... most come with an adapter and I have 1 gig and it is plenty.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Wirelessly posted (HTC-8100/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

cool...thanks for the info...definetely weird, this thing is like a mini laptop..it's nuts. In a good way tho :) no miniSD yet...but will have to soon. It's cool that you can have several email accts on here...now I need to get aim...the final frontier ;)

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
BladeRider said:
The Q was my first choice if I went Vz...their EVDO stuff sounds killer, but for me, the 5% more coverage I get with Vz, versus their old school sim-less technology meaning im stuck with that 1 phone 24/7....the convenience factor of the phone won.

p.s. Isn't tethering against Vz's TOS ;)

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Ok this thing passes the one week test with a score of about 94% sureness to keep. While I couldn't recommend this one for personal use just yet it is only because of the rate plan required for such a device. As far as device cost per-functionality aspect of a 'cellphone' , it's got just about everything else I have ever owned beaten.

Size: Thought it would bug me but it really hasn't. The holster it comes with keeps it horizontal which is pretty handy for space savings - just remember its there when trying to squeeze through the door carrying out an old 21" monitor. To add onto size, the 'talkability' on this phone is perfect too...its odd cause it doesen't look like it would be real comfy to talk on - but it certainly is. It's also thick enough that you can cock your head to the side and still keep it there while digging something out of the trunk with both hands. But thats only if you don't have a BT headset - which I'll get to later.

Battery: No complaints, my last phone Nokia 6230 was getting to the point that it would kill a battery every 2-3 days. This phone can go (with my usage) 2 days and needs a charge on the second evening.
My usage - is about an hour a day of cell, making 4 or 5 calls of a few minutes then a good 30-45 minute call, just seems how it typically is...maybe less if I'm lucky. Bluetooth turned on for those conversations usually and running with my moto hs830 headset.
The unit also has activesync running in the background with Outlook and Agile messenger keeping my GPRS/EDGE connection live all the time. When I get home and big brothers cell jammers take over, I flip to .11g on my home WiFi and the data collects my emails and monitors my aim client while I snooze...or well, ok lets be honest, while I'm on here via other means :D
But it does that repetition for ~1.5--2 full days on a single charge which I think is pretty reasonable.

Tech: The WM5.0 OS on it is well...Winduhs. Like all MS products, to truly shine it requires a shot to the uprights every few (thus far) to keep it going. Soft reset count is 7 (hey 1 a day!) and hard reset count is 3...I know, for a week of owning a device this isn't the norm. Well bear in mind I profess to be a geek...so 4 of those soft starts were me modifying the registry in ways I shouldn't have (but damn if it ain't faster now :D) the other 3 were just to get the signal bars re-lit (more below on that). The hard reboots were bios/fw updates I've been doing - it really only needed one good battery pull event the first night I had it and it's been sano after that.
Anyways Windows Mobile 5 with Activesync4.1 are pretty cool so far. Not too much lag but a little thick for my prefs in some places. Though a recent firmware update from the manufacturer seems to have altered some of the Windows UI to be a bit more intelligent which I do not mind. The one thing I will say about this OS is they did alot of work to make it appear simple but in fact be really complex. An example is the WiFi stuff...you can think your setting up your default WiFi connection but in reality be building a LEAP connection. Small potatoes I know, but some of the stuff is just a little tricky. I wouldn't recommend this unit to a first time mobile/ppc user by any means, unless they have a very ceramic support team.

Top 3 Things I like about it:
-1- It charges on USB, it has a usb mini-a connector on it, same as my Camera's and secondary MP3 player - nice just having 1 cable to use...and being able to charge on it too.

-2- Form factor - Has a really nice design to it on the outside of the shell. It's easy to handle, manipulate as needed and still get to all the buttons without too much hassle. It also gets points for having a slip-shell design with full useable qwerty keybd while still maintaining a very solid feeling device when open or closed. It looks pretty slick too, did I mention I don't feel like I'm a crackhead talking to a piece of toast (aka blackberry). I also dig the whole screen thing going landscape or portrait with the keybd flip...very handy.

-3- Windows Mobile : I'm a palm guy from way back (ok 2001)...and while PalmOS had its role of having an intuitive yet deep interface while still being 'thin' enough for the average joe to use in a pinch....I think WM5 is now offering some competition. Granted it has been awhile since I've actively used a PalmOS device in my day to day life, but the WM5 seems to be more useful overall, I mean it's like a laptop basically with a today screen instead of a desktop. I felt like the Palm really just wanted my contacts and calendar, and everything else it was either go with Palm or go with Windows to organize properly.

Top 3 things I don't like:
-1- Instability(??) - Not sure if its hardware or software..I just put a new build on this last night and it's been cool since. But...prior to I was having issues with the unit losing service in areas I would expect it to..but not 'lighting up' properly when it would return to service. IE: I'd basically need to be next to a tower and let it do it's own thing, and when it was damn good and ready I could use it again. Before the update the apps would also get very sticky when the device wasn't in cell service. I thought that odd...who cares? I just want to look at a spreadsheet? But sometimes it would get to the point where a soft reset (once a hard) would need to be performed to get it to come back if I was in a bad service area. I also had issues with the mic sound quality doing weird things the first few days I had it. Then it mysteriously stopped, and reoccured again last night for an hour or two after the fw update...now its fine again(??).

-2- Camera - why even offer it with one if it's just going to be a POS camera?!?!

-3- Screen sensitivity - feels like I need to pound the thing sometimes to get it to take. I guess thats a good thing, but it bugs me. Again not a major issue here, just nitpicking. Like the damn MiniSD card...which I won't give it's own number, but I had to go buy a new M-sd card just for the phone when I have other regular SD cards here that I could use.

Also between Exchange/Outlook, PocketPuTTY (beta), Agile running GoogleChat and AIM, this thing is hooked up :thumb: I'm liking it so far and would give it 2 thumbs up at this time. :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
Top 3 things I don't like:
-1- Instability(??) - Not sure if its hardware or software..I just put a new build on this last night and it's been cool since. But...prior to I was having issues with the unit losing service in areas I would expect it to..but not 'lighting up' properly when it would return to service. IE: I'd basically need to be next to a tower and let it do it's own thing, and when it was damn good and ready I could use it again. Before the update the apps would also get very sticky when the device wasn't in cell service. I thought that odd...who cares? I just want to look at a spreadsheet? But sometimes it would get to the point where a soft reset (once a hard) would need to be performed to get it to come back if I was in a bad service area. I also had issues with the mic sound quality doing weird things the first few days I had it. Then it mysteriously stopped, and reoccured again last night for an hour or two after the fw update...now its fine again(??).

-2- Camera - why even offer it with one if it's just going to be a POS camera?!?!

-3- Screen sensitivity - feels like I need to pound the thing sometimes to get it to take. I guess thats a good thing, but it bugs me. Again not a major issue here, just nitpicking. Like the damn MiniSD card...which I won't give it's own number, but I had to go buy a new M-sd card just for the phone when I have other regular SD cards here that I could use.

Also between Exchange/Outlook, PocketPuTTY (beta), Agile running GoogleChat and AIM, this thing is hooked up :thumb: I'm liking it so far and would give it 2 thumbs up at this time. :thumb::thumb:
I had a TMobile MDAII in Germany and had the same cell connectivity issues (WM2003). If I went inside a building that caused me to lose my signal, it took an act of God to get the device to work at all. I spent more time doing hard resets and reinstalling programs than I want to remember. I ended up turning the flight mode on before going into buildings I knew would not get a signal. My SX66 (MDAIII) with WM2003SE doesn't have this issue anymore. Seems like WM5.0 brought back those issues. That's nice to know since I was thinking of installing 5.0 on mine. Think I'll wait until 5.0SE comes out.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I just flashed mine to the latest version last night and it made a huge difference. Seems a bit more stable, and added a little more "functionality" here and there. Overall, I have to agree.... Great little phone!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I'm looking at smartphones now... Are you still liking the phone? I like the wi-fi ability... I'm not planning to get the EDGE plan, as I just don't need to always be online. But I want a PDA to carry around epocrates, my schedule, contacts and also be a phone so I don't have to carry around both...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts