Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to clean my RR? I do not want to damage anything. Do I just wash it as you would a car? Is there special chemicals that are better than others? I do not want to harm the finish on anything. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks...

·
Registered
469 Posts
colryn said:
What is the best way to clean my RR? I do not want to damage anything. Do I just wash it as you would a car? Is there special chemicals that are better than others? I do not want to harm the finish on anything. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks...
Apart from never 'cause Honda skimped out on the Hardener so all the bikes have paint as soft of baby shit you mean? hehe.

Just use a car wash for most things. Kero for your grease n shit like that (chain lubes etc etc), some non acid wheel cleaner for the rims and give it a light polish and protect every now and then.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Some folks here on the forum are adamantly against applying one drop of water to their bike. Rust, oxidation issues I guess :idunno: . Maybe that has some merit in high humidity areas. Well, I live in a state that has an average of 8-10% humidity in the summer, so I just hose her off. Mild auto wash detergent and nice, low pressure spray rinse, followed by a chamois. I can't imagine that this is gonna hurt anything. After that (maybe once per month, the water thing that is) I apply the Honda spray polish/cleaner and it shines like a showroom bike. In between, I use a lot of the Honda polish/cleaner to keep her lookin' good! :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
i'm in upstate ny and i don't want water to get on the wiring or the aluminum.i'm kinda funny about things like that.but i usually get lots of compiments on how clean my bike is

·
Registered
469 Posts
richs929 said:
i'm in upstate ny and i don't want water to get on the wiring or the aluminum.i'm kinda funny about things like that.but i usually get lots of compiments on how clean my bike is
If I didn't use water and suds on my bike and attempted to get it clean I would have scratches galore! My bike just plain gets too dirty not to use water to rid of all the gunk n crap that gets on it. Then again, i USE my bike quite a bit and do a decent number of kays, including when it's raining/wet etc. I also live in a semi-sandy area so that gets everywhere too. I use plenty of kero to get all the grease n gunk that comes off the chain and things like that as well.

If it rains you get all sorts of dust n crap from the air falling on the paintwork, so you really need to blast the dirt off first before you start washing.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Hondaman said:
I use Mr Sheen.....yes it a furniture polisher and it works real nice :)
:metoo:

I find it works well provided the bike isn't too dirty. Though she gets a hose wash probably once a month. And I live so close to the ocean that the salt will eat the bike way before my tap water ever will...

Z...

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I use a good quality car soap like Zep. I usually wash it once a year with water to get it really clean, more often if I've taken long trips and gotten caught in the rain, making the bike filthy. I take the plastics off and spray the engine with Simple Green, then hose it off after cleaning it with a toothbrush. Car soap elsewhere, tank, plastics. Just don't use a high-pressure hose. I also don't spray directly on the gauges.
The rest of the time I use Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish on all plastic, tank, wheels, it works great! The chain gets cleaned with WD40 (kerosene is just as good, probably better). I also wax the tank with a good car wax.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I used to use Dawn dishwash soap to clean cars and bikes. That stuff is better than regular car wash soap for cleaning chain spatter, however, it stripes of most of the wax as well. So I recommend using car wash soap, such as Turtle Wax brand. For the swingarm, WD40 or Honda Cleaner are great. The Honda Cleaner is great for getting bugs off the fairing between washes.

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Meguiars Quik Detailer is great for cleaning your bike between washes. It works to emulsify surface dirt and leaves a nice smooth finish. It also conditions if you have a nice layer of Carnuba on the paint.

Don't be afraid to wash your bike, I have always done it. Just don't use a pressure washer or anything like that. Nice low pressure stream from your garden hose will suffice. And always use a synthetic chamois to dry it. A natural chamois has oils in it that will strip your wax.

Also, I would highly recommend that you stay away from polishes and wax with Polymers in them. Polymers are plastics which form a hard surface that does not allow your paint to breathe. Carnuba wax lets the paint breathe and also conditions the paint through infusion. And paint must be able to breathe, it helps keep a balance of moisture in it. If you cover it in Polymers, it will eventually start to dry and crack. The paint will also start to yellow over time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts