Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil yesterday and some of the oil got on my headers when I took off the filter. I tried my best to cover up the the headers ahead of time, but some still managed to get on. Next time I'll try and fit a small container around there, but in the meantime what is a good way to get the mess cleaned off?

thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
Happens all the time to me despite whatever precautions I take.

These days I just stuff a big wadge of rags down over the headers and change the filter as quickly as I can...but invariably there will always be a little oil spilled. Wipe it up, and then go for a good long ride - by the time you get back everything will be clean and smelling sweet again !!

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:
I make an aluminum foil channel and funnel it over the headers and into a drain pan.
Yep, this is what I do on my Duramax too...the stupid drain has oil landing right on the skidplate as soon as the crankcase is about half empty. That means 1.5 gallons of oil or so on the skidplate. :rolleyes:

Cardboard works well too.

If you do spill, just wipe it off, maybe shoot some brake cleaner on them and let the rest burn off.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I always manage to dribble some on the headers. Not to worry...just run the engine for 5 minutes and it all burns off. :cycle:

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hey, what I do is take a little aluminum foil and put that over the headers...then any other that drips on them, I just burn it off.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I only change the oil when I'm changing the exhaust system and have the headers off anyway.. or every 2000 miles, whichever is later. Or I just get a new bike.

---Chain, 2004

:evilaugh:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I do the cardboard channel thing. I get very little on the pipes that way. So no much to clean up afterwards.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I've heard of people who make aluminum foil channels then burn off the rest.

I just pick the bike up, turn it upside down, and drain the oil out the filler hole. After shaking the last few drops out, I can take the filter off knowing there's no oil in the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts