Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Im about to start putting my motor back together and have a quick question. I mic'd the pistons and wrist pins and they are all good...but i would like to clean the pistons really good before i reinsert them back in the bore. What is the best way to clean them considering there is carbom build up on the top surface. Thanks is advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to school to be a engine builder . and all i have ever done on stock pistons is use a light brillow pad ( 3M ones ) and carb cleaner it gets them pretty clean .. if they are bad then id use a brass soft wire brush..

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i have all of that stuff. I just didnt want to use anything too abrasive due to the fact that i dont want to scour the top of the piston and screw up compression or something like that!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey all. Im about to start putting my motor back together and have a quick question. I mic'd the pistons and wrist pins and they are all good...but i would like to clean the pistons really good before i reinsert them back in the bore. What is the best way to clean them considering there is carbom build up on the top surface. Thanks is advance!
You also need to measure the ring grooves for wear.
I just scrape the carbon off the crown with a paint scraper or screwdriver but you have to be very careful not to scratch the piston - you don't want to create potential fracture lines or heat spots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts