Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll need to clean my greasy fingerprints off my Arata before I start the bike...

What is safe to use? I have some WD-40, would that hurt it? The pipe is naked titanium and the silencer is anodized black.

Dish soap and water?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I would put a little WD-40 on a rag and just wipe clean. After that a bucket with soap and water should do fine. Do a wipe down with a dry rag and fire it up.

Titanium is soooooo cool.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
WD40.... :hmm: Why would you "clean" a greasy fingerprint with something oily.... :googly:

If there is a mess on them that you are worried about, use contact/brake cleaner... :twocents:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baketech said:
WD40.... :hmm: Why would you "clean" a greasy fingerprint with something oily.... :googly:

If there is a mess on them that you are worried about, use contact/brake cleaner... :twocents:
I have some of that, but I was worried its "caustic as fuck" nature might hurt the anodized part. If I ruin my pipe it's all your fault.

I thought WD could fix anything and cure all disease? You're sure getting a lot of mileage out of that googly smiley.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
WD40 is for chain cleaning and keeping old men's shovels and rakes from rusting...that's about it... :twocents:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
WD40 is the most wonderful invention ever made.. you have no idea how many things we use it for at work... plus it's the best damn thing to use to clean up yourself if your hands and arms are covered in oil, grease, oxide, whatever just to get all that crap off and then use some hand soap to get rid of the wd40 residue.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
We where in a marina the other day, me and another mechanic had our hands covered with grease, diesel and some other nasty stuff. The only thing we found to clean ourselves was........ head and shoulders shampoo.... That stuff must be freaking strong cause it got EVERYTHING out!!! Don't know about using it on titanium though. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
WD-40 is the best thing I've found to clean Ti with. But you do want to wipe off the excess after cleaning. And don't hang around a closed place after you've started the bike... the vapours are nasty toxic when heated. Great excuse to go for a ride after you've cleaned your bike.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Titanium forms a layer of titanium oxide at the surface on contact with air that makes it incredibly chemically resistant.

It takes a strong acid to etch Ti, don't worry about it with any cleaner you'd use on aluminum.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
abtech said:
Bet you can't polish it with WD-40 :nod:
Nah, I'm sticking with spinal fluid. It's kind of difficult to come by, but I wouldn't trust my hardware to anything else.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
From the Akrapovic EVO1 instructions, clean the Ti with WD-40:
The only thing they are warning you about, is the sticker and nothing takes off adhesive like WD40. :idunno:

·
Registered
900 Posts
luvtolean said:
Titanium forms a layer of titanium oxide at the surface on contact with air that makes it incredibly chemically resistant.

It takes a strong acid to etch Ti, don't worry about it with any cleaner you'd use on aluminum.
This is correct however are titanium exhaust 100% Titanium?
I had read somewhere that exhausts could be called titanium if they contain only 30% titanium. (Kind of like synthetic oil marketing). That would make them a titanium alloy with properties different from pure titanium.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Actually, there's really no set definition for how much Ti has to be in the material for it to be called titanium. So you are correct.

Most of the big name pipes that claim to be titanium really are, and I definately trust Arata, so he's fine.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Baketech said:
WD40 is for chain cleaning and keeping old men's shovels and rakes from rusting...that's about it... :twocents:
there's over 300 uses for the WD40 No Mess Pen nevermind the 2000+ uses for regular WD40.

There are 2 things that can use to fix anything, WD40 and duct tape.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Maybe, but who actually owns 2000+ rusty shovels... :huh:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts