Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to tidy up a bit of ugliness from the Previous Owner (pics to follow). Most of the damage could be covered and any future damage prevented by a set of Woodcraft Covers/ Protectors, but there might still be a little damage shown. I'm wondering if there is some type of touch up paint that would cover the missing paint on the little bumps above the smaller cover on the RHS (I think that color is called Gunmetal) and some small damage on the bolt heads.

For the resident experts, would you replace those bolts? Or don't bother? Would you replace the whole RHS cover?

I've got a date at California Superbike School coming up and honestly, I shouldn't be wrenching on the bike this close to the date, but I just feel like putting on my new custom bodywork (It's all laid out on my garage floor now...no previews, sorry guys) and I just might be able to get this all done in time.

LHS and RHS pics in next post.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics as promised. LHS is Pic1, RHS is Pic2

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can also go with some carbon fiber aesthetic covers. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they worthwhile?

I've thought about these and how they might add just the right amount of CF accents and would go with some future planned additions.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to go Woodcraft. Sealing the decision is my offer to buy a set of mint pre-owned covers was accepted while I slept. That, and I don't want an obvious eBay bike.

I still need some advice on the covering the remaining damage that will be visible on the RHS.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's encouraging and what I wanted to see. I think I can do that.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rub them down with what?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
i slapped the 30$ ebay special on my 954. its missing the "honda" but i dont think it looks to bad.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually looks good.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
i slapped the 30$ ebay special on my 954. its missing the "honda" but i dont think it looks to bad.
although tell-tale of a "downed" bike, I actually prefer the aesthetic of an unbranded aftermarket stator cover :shades::twocents:

you weren't able to find a clear poly one that lights up, Kev? :smilebig:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought long and hard about the clear covers. They look good on MotoGP bikes, so I thought - why not?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I'll only retain the RHS, what is the stock color and I'd like a suggestion on procurement. I'm hoping this is something I can rattle can.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
im not certain but i think the rim/frame/engine cover color is called mat axis grey NH303M.

it looks like the color they used on the rims for all color schemes in 06. so i suppose if the covers are the same color as the wheels you can be pretty sure its the mat axis.

the same color is used on my 954's wheels/frame/covers.

you should be able to get a rattle can of it from any major paint supplier armed with the paint code.

http://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went by the auto parts store and looked at the engine paints, assuming that high temp paint would be needed (???); I didn't like any of the colors I saw. And besides, the seller of my Woodcraft forgot the mounting hardware and I don't plan to do this more than once.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts