Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post. I’m new here for posting. Read a few threads previously and felt a little out of my depth. Now I’m asking for some advice as I’m having bike issues and I’m also out of my depth.

Basically I have an 05/06 cbr1000rr the pipe under the seat model, that died mid ride.

I took a corner and opened the throttle, pretty standard and nothing too taxing. Bike lurched and lagged, skipped a beat. Similar to low fuel I’m guessing, but I have around 3/4 tank of 98 currently so that can’t be it.

At the next traffic lights around15 seconds of riding it just dies when I come to a stop. Won’t kick back over had to push it off the road.

I come back a little later to check if it will start. Light on the dash are very dim. When I hit start just a very fast clicking noise under the front riders seat. Take the seat off there is a relay basically right next to the battery where all the noise is coming from.

From my research this is a relay and low voltage could cause this. Also could be a faulty starter or loose wire.

Any other ideas on what this might be? The bike lurching makes me think I might have a fuelling problem, does smell rich sometimes when running. Maybe fouled plugs. I don’t know.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Pickwick

Put multimeter on battery, had around 10.5v. So I pulled the battery overnight for trickle charging and in the morning it was around 12.4v. After reinstall it kicked the bike over first time no hesitation.

It appears either my battery is not holding a charge or it is not being charged while riding. Anyone know of any quick tests I can run to find out?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
G’day there, it’s very common for the regulator/rectifier to fail on these(small gizmo that takes the voltage down to go into the battery). Hopefully it’s not also the stator(part on the left side of the engine that creates the electricity)-sometimes they end up failing and overcharge the battery too!The clicking will indeed be the starter solenoid not getting enough electrical ‘grunt’ to it.
Charge your battery, grab a multimeter and have a look at this flow chart-it’s actually pretty easy to do-also check none of the electrical connector blocks aren’t melted-you’ll be able to sort it rather than a garage I’d imagine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. I put a new battery in over the weekend and it seems to have fixed the problem. The old battery was very old and beat up. Multimeter shows a marginal voltage increase when revving the bike while stationary so it should be charging. Thanks a lot for your help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good stuff, to be safe I’d use it once then re-check that it’s getting between 12.5 & 14.5 volts to the battery when it’s revved. This ensures it’s getting topped up properly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So update, I've followed the service manual and the electric testing guide as the new battery did not resolve the issue. After testing it became apparent it was the stator, as each pin was shorting to ground. I ended up replacing the stator and r/r around 7 days ago and the bike has not missed a beat. Even seems to have improved performance. Thanks all for your info and assistance. Next project is oil filter and coolant change and maybe the CCT to reduce the noise coming from the engine. Getting there slowly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts