Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my chain with a 520 DID Pro O-Ring but it came with a rivet master.. guess my question how many of you leave the clip master on or replace it with a rivet? Seems like DID wouldnt put it in there if it wouldnt hold up.. yes I installed it correctly with closed part in the direction of the chain. Just wondering thoughts on it from others... :idunno:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Rivet is definitely much more permanent, and the way to go - it is not going to fail if properly installed. Although I haven't heard that many occurences about clip master links failing, there is always the possibility... :idunno: I would personally use a rivet link.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have heard of many people having the master link clip fall off, even with safety wire, rtv, or paint. It's just not worth the effort on a high powered bike like the blade. If you ride casual, no problem. If you wick it on, rivet please. One guy on the VFR site said he never had a problem with a clip type master link. He went out to his bike, and low and behold, the clip was gone. He was instantly converted. NIKE!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Racer last year at a track day properly installed the master link with safty wire and some silicone. He wished he used the Rivot link after the clip came apart and jammed between his counter shaft and engine block cracking the engine casing . but not before the chain whipped around ripped through his leathers and laserated the back of his calve :eek: :(

·
Registered
441 Posts
crazycuRRie said:
Racer last year at a track day properly installed the master link with safty wire and some silicone. He wished he used the Rivot link after the clip came apart and jammed between his counter shaft and engine block cracking the engine casing . but not before the chain whipped around ripped through his leathers and laserated the back of his calve :eek: :(

I'm glad I'm using a rivet type. That just doesn't sound good at all.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
crazycuRRie said:
I crashed in turn 3 Of Willow Springs when my safty wired and RTV'ed master link clip came apart, locked up the rear end, tore a hole in the swingarm, and highsided me off. No way I would run a clip on a liter bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts