Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with my clipon riser thread dead, coming to no conclusion, i am consider to move the clipons above the clamp.. is it possible? any1 have experienced doing it? care to share some pictures?

i do have damper installed at the steering stem though, i think shifting the triple clamp down would have problems fitting the clipons.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reason being, i ride the bike daily as transport. though its reasonably comfortable, but i thought rising another inch or 2 would significantly put less strain on my back.

after watching the video clip of apex clipons, i thought its good, very likely to find a 'sweet spot' since the cbr954 cluster is very cramped.

any inputs very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Have anyone done this sucessfully yet? I'd be very interested in trying it myself

Set the fork tubes 10-15mm above the clamp and put the clip-ons on top.
I don't know if you'll have clearance issues with the instruments and fairing though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yoshiki I have a set of Driven riser clip ons 1.5" rise will fit all 50mm forks.

$100 + shipping. I drilled one hole for the throttle housing then decided to go another route.

Pm me if you're interested.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yoshiki I have a set of Driven riser clip ons 1.5" rise will fit all 50mm forks.

$100 + shipping. I drilled one hole for the throttle housing then decided to go another route.

Pm me if you're interested.

That's a good offer but I got the apex clip ons some time back already.
Cheers.

sent from my 8850

·
Registered
791 Posts
Think about it... put the clip-ons above the yoke, and ideally you still need the same clamping area inside the clip-on clamp, which means dropping the yokes down the forks by (I'm guessing) 30mm. This is going to make the bike horribly nervous I should think, and probably leave your front fender sticking through your radiator.

So in short, it's a great idea, if you happen to have some forks lying around which are identical but say about 30mm longer.

Just get a comfort kit and fit a straight handlebar.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Think about it... put the clip-ons above the yoke, and ideally you still need the same clamping area inside the clip-on clamp, which means dropping the yokes down the forks by (I'm guessing) 30mm. This is going to make the bike horribly nervous I should think, and probably leave your front fender sticking through your radiator.

So in short, it's a great idea, if you happen to have some forks lying around which are identical but say about 30mm longer.

Just get a comfort kit and fit a straight handlebar.

Why do you need 30mm of clamping area?
Mine have been shimmed with 1mm of copper sheet and mounted on the top 10mm of the tubes, for many years and tens of thousands of kilometers, including a track day - no problems at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
^^ very cool to see a kit to make the bike more comfortable for the long-hauls! Terribly horribly ugly to me... but very cool idea.. I would think that this would kill handling in the twisties as well>? I guess for someone that wanted a sport-bike for pure daily riding these would work awesome, as long as they don't go out on weekends to have play time... Seems like a good bit of work to switch back and forth, though I'm sure you'd get very proficient and exceptionally speedy at doing so after a few bouts with 'em.

Edit: my post is referring to the one above BR's!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
^^ very cool to see a kit to make the bike more comfortable for the long-hauls! Terribly horribly ugly to me... but very cool idea.. I would think that this would kill handling in the twisties as well>? I guess for someone that wanted a sport-bike for pure daily riding these would work awesome, as long as they don't go out on weekends to have play time... Seems like a good bit of work to switch back and forth, though I'm sure you'd get very proficient and exceptionally speedy at doing so after a few bouts with 'em.
Give it a try sometime. Straight bars really make it easy to flick the bike around. The only time it feels weird is when you're going 130mph+ and you're trying to tuck.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Give it a try sometime. Straight bars really make it easy to flick the bike around. The only time it feels weird is when you're going 130mph+ and you're trying to tuck.
Hrm.. I was considering the exact opposite of straight bars actually! At least for track days I was considering race clip-ons at a 7 degree angle... They are at least nice to get you a bit more tucked-in and in a better race position, though I have a feeling they'll get pulled off between track days...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts