Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 cbr900 the lower clutch linkage is in what's seems to be a locked state. all I have done is taken the old one off for replacement and when I went to fit the new one the linkage looks to be more (anticlockwise ) looking and does not want to come around to what should be its normal operating location.? any ideas

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,551 Posts
1994 cbr900 the lower clutch linkage is in what's seems to be a locked state. all I have done is taken the old one off for replacement and when I went to fit the new one the linkage looks to be more (anticlockwise ) looking and does not want to come around to what should be its normal operating location.? any ideas
Do you mean you only replaced the CABLE?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep silly as it sounds but when I went to reattach the new cable it looks like.... if you were to view the linkage from above and looking directly at the right side of the bike. the linkage arm sits roughly in the 12 o clock position and would hook up right , but mine is in the 930 position and feels somewhat "locked" in that spot. cant move by hand either only probably 1cm at best...
thinking possibly something has come loose or moved from behind the cluch housing itself ... don't know never pulled one off.... if I was to pull the cover off does the engine oil need to be dropped. I am mechanically minded just never attempted this before.
really am stumped how this could happen , the bike hasn't moved of the stand

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
yes pictures would help i think. clutch linkage, i think, might mean different things to different people....

·
7,551 Posts
It shouldn't be straight. It should look like this more or less once connected. And you won't be able to twist it by hand, only until it stops. If you haven't taken the cover off nothing can change.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
i use a photobucket account. upload my pics there n then use the img link. copy n past it in your post box n itll look like ian's there.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
wrong cable maybe? yours looks pretty similar to ians in its forward most position

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers thanks Ian , why I am having so much trouble with this, mine looks the same as yours, I seem to run out of cable when attaching to the lever , like the cable is too short. unsure maybe I should check my fitment again.. I've had a break maybe I will go back with a clear head and reassess.
Thanks for your help, will have another bat at it and will get back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep could be Kevin however i did check this with the supplier ,as have been given wrong parts before also we did Google part number just to be sure as well. will have another go now and re check.
thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nope no luck , just refitted my old cable and even that doesn't want to move the lower linkage , in fact it snapped my old cable . i knew I was exerting too much pressure on it but wanted to see if the linkage would move . its definitely bound/locked up somehow. the clutch defiantly works and other than remove the cable nothing else has happened. Weird !!!
think there's no other option than to remove the housing cover. do i need to drop oil to do this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lift linkage is defiantly stuck , it moves freely between the area in the two pictures but when the clutch is pulled in the lift linkage refuses to move as required and the pressure I am exerting to do this is far more than would be normally required to pull the clutch in.
At wits end with this ... bike life is very close to being retired for good!!!!

·
7,551 Posts
BIKES GOING ON GUMTREE .... RETIRED FOR WRECKING
Sorry to hear you gave up on it. Was the bike running well before you replaced the cable? It seems maybe something else led you to replace the cable. The clutch cover that's on yours right now is not for a 94 or RR-R. The two piece cover began on the RRT's or 96's. If you leave the bike on the side stand and remove the cover you shouldn't lose any oil, and if you did it would only be a few drips. Here's an updated pic as the first one I took was last year and my cable was disconnected from the handlebar lever:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Ian , starting to think I've got a bit of a bitsa bike which is a worry, bike is def a 94 . yep bike was having running rough problems before the cable, and done a basic strip clean of the carbies... which im still having problems now getting her started..
on the clutch thing there is no way of getting my lift linkage around to where yours is( tried hooking up my old frayed clutch cable to it and pulling it in but it still felt rather locked up to the point I actually snapped the cable) I took the clutch cover plate off to inspect but like you said there is not much that can go wrong in there, have put it back on and still feels the same. the new cable I bought is different in that its shorter and does not have a curve coming off the bar clutch lever hence problems getting it to do the job. the dealer!! claims black and blue this is the correct one and the one I showed him that was longer must have been dodged up.
Quest ... using a tool with reasonable force shouldn't that lifting linkage move the clutch ... really surprised at the force required to do this, im no wimpy fella and this just don't feel right.
I'm going to have another try today , I will even try bypassing the fuel pump and gravity feed just to eliminate the fuel pump.... but this clutch thing im ashamed may need to visit a mechanic ( the gasket got damaged anyway doing this )

·
7,551 Posts
Pull the outer clutch cover off, rotate the lifter arm in the cover to line it up as if it were connected to the cable. Hold it there as you reinstall the cover. It probably won't go right on, and you'll need to then rotate the lifter arm back to get it on the lifter cam that sticks out of the center of the clutch pressure plate. That should confirm you installed it correctly.

You are correct if you have 1994 controls/frame that the clutch cable should have almost a 90 degree bend as it come out of the lever. If they sell you something different then they're wrong. Can you post your VIN and engine #'s? There is so much pressure produced by the clutch springs, and coupled with the minimal amount of movement the clutch plates actually move its possible that even using a tool to rotate the lifter arm could be difficult.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok
CBR900RR 2/94
vin JH2SC28U-3RM200015
Eng .. SC28E-2253527

Just to confirm that the original cable on it when i purchased the bike, was a lot longer and had no bend on the lever end .
The one sold to me by the dealer had the bend and is considerably shorter. When I attempted to refit the new one there is no way after connecting the lower linkage ( giving maximum allowable wire slack to fit it to the top clutch lever) was I was able to , in fact I was left with about 10-15mm of cable exposed to try and fit it with. (no way will it allow me enough exposed wire to hook it up and fit through the adjusting nut on the handle bars.
on a brighter note she's running..... and very smooth, don't know what it was but probably a combination of fuel and fouled plugs and starting out with empty fuel float bowls.

·
7,551 Posts
I'm pretty sure when I mounted my new cable last year I put it in the lower bracken first. Backed the top nut off to allow maximum slack in the braided part of the cable. Then attached it to the lifter link. Then, I had to take the lever out of the clutch perch, attach the ferrel to the lever, line it up for the knurreled adjuster, then work the cable and lever together into the clutch lever perch. It will never go in with the lever in the perch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts