Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Recently I bought my first Fireblade 954RR. I really like how it is riding and the power is great but when I was riding today I heard some clunk noise and then it stalls for a bit. I heard it only two seperate times when I was waiting on idle and it was not constant. It makes sound like clunk and revs drop down a bit. And it is like one clunk and after that it is all good. While riding it has no problems, it accelerates fast and on idle I also like how it sounds but now I am a bit nervous about the clunks that I heard these two times. In video you can hear the clunk and see that revs drop down a bit in 5th second but after that everything was fine. It is not radiator fan because temperature was only 82°C and it was not spinning when checked it. Hope it is not something serious because I really like the Fireblade!
Video you can see in this link - Streamable - free video publishing .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have not checked them but in service guys told me that everything in engine sounds good. They think that it could also be a misfire from bad/old spark plugs or maybe should adjust valves. I think i will try to change air filter and spark plugs. Hope it will help. If someone else has had this, please let me now. If I will solve the problem, I will write what was that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to another service and they said that it could be starter clutch one way bearing. They said that engine sounds ok and if these were spark plugs then they would either work or not. I think that I will continue to ride and hope that it will not become worse. If someone else has had problem like this, please give me information about what was it for you and how you solved it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The starter bearing is down on the left of the motor as you sit on the bike.
Easy to get to, just remove fairing on that side, remove stator cover. The stator cover has a strong magnetic grip to overcome so bring strong fingers to the game.
Remove the little gear and shaft between the starter and flywheel and you can then check the one way bearing moves smoothly. I would look carefully at the stator to see if it is touching/rubbing somewhere. Might explain the miss if its a dead short.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I again got that clunk but this time it was while I was riding in first gear. You can see and hear it in this video - Streamable - free video publishing . At 2nd second I put in first gear and that was normal clunk but at 5th second you can hear that random clunk which for me sounds the same as the clunk when I put in gear. Could it be starter clutch or maybe it is something with transmission or clutch?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday took off the clutch and it had worn out inner clutch basket. Do you think these grooves could cause the clunk and stall?
IMG_20200425_162749.jpg IMG_20200426_133610.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't hear the stall but sounded like the clutch was a bit grabby. Especially if you were still slipping the clutch. The plates would definitely grab in those grooves and would not release smoothly. Are the slots on the outer hub just as worn?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In first video was clunk and stall but in second video there was only clunk without stall. There were also marks on outer hub but they were much smoother and they were not so deep. I think that outer hub could have been changed before me because outer hub worns out faster than inner but mine was in better condition than inner hub. What do you think about grooves in places where clutch springs go on? Are they normal or they could also cause some problems?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i haven'f seen wear on the spring posts like that before. i suppose the springs may grab under load but i would only be guessing.
if you wanted to try and save it, the grooves can be filed out. but, there would be differences in the gaps that means the grooves would take up un-evenly. it would wear out more quickly. the backlash may be too great as well.
Since you have come this far it would be prudent to try some wreckers, ebay etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered new inner hub from Honda. Hope that it was the problem and new inner hub will solve it. Thank you for your help, will write here if it helped.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,881 Posts
@Krilops Here is another thread with the same question and added info, but no real "fix" for the issue. I myself tend to believe its a fuel metering and/or ignition issue as some have said. Maybe check your exhaust valve and fuel pressure regulator (FPR).

I know on my carbed 900RR that when its running out of gas and the idle is dropping, it sounds like a rolling box of rocks (similar clunking sound), and does it right up until it stalls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank your your reply, I think I have read all the topics in this forum with keywords clunk, knock and click ? There are people who have had the same problem but no one wrote did they solve it or how to solve this problem. There was one topic when the problem was in clutch basket but it was not changed and in other topic there was problem with broken clutch plate and changing it solved the problem. I think that this is something mechanical because there is clunk first and only then revs drop. If it was injector, I think clunk would be after rev drop. I hope that the problem is in inner hub. I will let you know if inner hub change solves the problem. But please, if someone reads this and has some idea what could be the problem, write it! Thank you all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am still waiting for my clutch but I was trying to search for the problem and saw other topics. In this video guy had the same problem and I have exactly the same clunks and rev drop -
; clunks/clicks are at 2:09, 5:02, 5:10. Maybe from this video it is better to understand the problem. Also I saw that guy had something similar with FJR1300 - 2002 FJR1300 Clunk at idle - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums . In this video the clunks are heavier but in the end the problem was in throttle bodies. It is driving me crazy that I do not know where to search for the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey. Yesterday I changed the inner hub of clutch. And also took of the throttle bodies, cleaned them, synchronised them, checked the spark plugs and ignitions coils. Changed the vacuum hoses which were broken and cleaned the ignition coils with contact cleaner. Today went for a ride and I think I heard again that clunk while driving at low speed in first gear. Do not know where to search for the problem. I think that in this way I could change every detail on motorcycle. Maybe it is something with transmission but then why was there a clunk while in neutral. Do not know. Would really be happy if someone could tell me how to solve this problem.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Have you considered that it could be an Earthing/Electrical problem, take a look at the central earthing connector, check for burnt plastic

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not. I thought that it could be something with clutch or fuel/air system. What do you think, valves could cause something like this? Also my revs fluctuate sometimes. Maybe that means something? Starter valves were adjusted, they are ok.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Electrics can cause all sorts of problems , would take a look at that connector though, Earthing faults are always a pain to find

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
^^ Agree with that one, the trouble I went to changing sensors, pipes, FPR, etc only to find the issues was corrosion in this earthing/power block:

IMG_3597.JPG IMG_3594.JPG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts