Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Im new to the forums and have a small problem.

I have an 05 Repsol CBR1000RR (about 55,000 k's on it).

Have just noticed a clunking sound coming from near the front sprocket. I heard it while coasting along this morning. When I was coasting itr sounded like something had stuck onto the back wheel..."clunk clunk clunk" in rapid succession.

When I got home I put the rear wheel up on the stand and when you move the rear wheel in the direction of travel you can hear a clunking noise from the general direction of the front sprocket and you can see the chain "jumps" if you know what I mean.

Any ideas what I could do to find out what it is?

Cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Re: clunking noise when going forward.

:badidea:stop going forward.... Jokes aside - did you take off the covers (chain) and have a look to see if anything is stuck in the to start with. Then check out the front sprocket, it might be bent.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

Chain too tight maybe?
Teeth missing off the countershaft sprocket?
Countershaft sprocket bolt come loose?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts

If the chain is "jumping", could it be that the chains links are worn and could be locking up and not turning freely around the sprokets?

Better take the covers off and check - it would be dangerous if the rear tyre locked up

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

:plus1:
If the chain is "jumping", could it be that the chains links are worn and could be locking up and not turning freely around the sprokets?

Better take the covers off and check - it would be dangerous if the rear tyre locked up

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well I gave the chain a good cleaning with WD-40 and gave it a good loobing....noise seems to have gone now..... bloody chains.

My last bike was a Suzuki GSX1100G SHAFT DRIVE!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Had a friend look at them and he says that they were just dry...teeth seem fine.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts

When was the last time you changed your chain and sprokets? If they are worn out, I would spend some money and get myself a new set - if you wanted, you could change the number of teeth??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

When was the last time you changed your chain and sprokets? If they are worn out, I would spend some money and get myself a new set - if you wanted, you could change the number of teeth??
I just picked up the bike on Saturday.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts

Is there any history telling you when it was last changed? Has the bike been serviced recently?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

If that's the OE chain, it should have been replaced at half the k's you have now. You could have gotten away with just a new chain back then but like others have said, you may need sprockets now as well. A good x-ring replacement will go a long time if its taken care of.
Chains today are engineering marvels compared chains of the 70's but even they need attention. That chain is very dangerous in it's current state.

·
Registered
420 Posts

good opportunity to go 2 up on the rear or 1 down on the front, they are not quite in the meat of the power with standard gearing in the twisty stuff......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well I am sorry to report the damn noise is back again. I have only done about 100 k's if that since cleaning and lubing the chain.

I am taking it back to the dealers on Monday for them to check it out.

Seems to happen mainly when the bike is hot and up to running temperature. When it cools down it stops. Only had it a week...thank god its under warranty.

It sounds like something catching somewhere.

Is it possible to remove the front sprocket cover? So I can try and see what under there? There is a clutch thingy attached to it can I just remove that or will there be oil spilling everywhere

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
It should be a sealed unit as long as you don't undo the banjo bolts or bleed screws.
I'd definately be replacing the chain and sprockets I think.
Did you check the chain adjustment while you were cleaning and lubing it?

·
Registered
251 Posts
if you sprayed the chain with wd40,chances are its ruined for good.Wd40 removes the oil from the orings,works good for a couple o miles,but then its almost impossible to lube inside the orings(they are pre-lubed from the factory),so the chain dries up and its gone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you sprayed the chain with wd40,chances are its ruined for good.Wd40 removes the oil from the orings,works good for a couple o miles,but then its almost impossible to lube inside the orings(they are pre-lubed from the factory),so the chain dries up and its gone.
Well I guess that depends on whom you listen too... I have scoured the internet forums for details on how to clean the chain and 99% of posts I have read all say clean with WD-40.

Quotes....

"I think the manual says to use kerosene to clean the chain, but it's not was readily available as WD-40. Some say it's not good to use WD-40 as it will dry out the o-rings, but I haven't had any problems in the 10+ years that I've been using it."

"+100....i agree. i have not had any problems using wd-40 for the past 15 years....and still keep using it."

"i use wd40 all the time . i get the 5litre container
you need lube for the metal too metal from sprocket too chain"

Even one from these very forums:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-cbr-600/46781-chain-maintenance.html#post473226

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Anthony, listen to what your brain is telling you...

If the chain is jumping, there is something wrong. End of. Now although it might not seem it, if the chain is jumping, that is serious, and in some cases can lead to the chain locking up and also locking the rear wheel.

If the chain has never been replaced, or you are not sure, deffo go get a new chain. Dont risk your life over a chain and sprokets set (btw, change them both)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts