Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to adjust my clutch but am having trouble understanding exactly what "freeplay" means. Is it how much I can pull the lever until it becomes more difficult (clutch springs activating) to pull? Because I can loosen it all the way out/in without any freeplay of the lever itself.

The reason I am concerned is because I don't think that it is disengaging all the way. With the wheel off the ground, it starts spinning the second I put it in gear, even with the clutch pulled in.

Also, if I put the bike in gear...put it back in neutral...then put it back in gear (without ever letting off the clutch) I still get loud clunks going into gear. Should it be very easy/quiet going into gear since all of the moving parts in the gearbox have stopped?? (like a manual shift car)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Both bikes I own, I get a slight clunk when I put it in gear. Clutches are properly adjusted.

As for the tire spinning while off the ground.. it happens to my bikes as well.

If it is sitting on the ground, does the bike try to pull when in gear and you have the clutch pulled in?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm trying to adjust my clutch but am having trouble understanding exactly what "freeplay" means. Is it how much I can pull the lever until it becomes more difficult (clutch springs activating) to pull? Because I can loosen it all the way out/in without any freeplay of the lever itself.

The reason I am concerned is because I don't think that it is disengaging all the way. With the wheel off the ground, it starts spinning the second I put it in gear, even with the clutch pulled in.

Also, if I put the bike in gear...put it back in neutral...then put it back in gear (without ever letting off the clutch) I still get loud clunks going into gear. Should it be very easy/quiet going into gear since all of the moving parts in the gearbox have stopped?? (like a manual shift car)
What sort of bike?
It's perfectly normal for the wheel to spin due to the drag of the clutch.
Once the engine is warmed up can you hold it and stop it from spinning with the clutch disengaged?
The transmission is spinning when the engine is running in neutral. The clunk into gear from neutral is normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts