Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all,
I hope winter is treating you well. Project 9turd9 is getting closer and closer to being a real bike again after ignoring my wise jedi masters advice to get rid of it as a parts bike and cut my losses , and lots of doubt and frustration later, with a lot of work behind me, here is where we are.

The clutch cable was misrouted to the point that hard lefts would stretch hard on the cable and the fine clutch cable adjuster was broken.

I replaced the adjuster, rerouted the cable and at low rpm 1200 or so, it sounded as if there was a bad rattle somewhere in the engine but only on clutch let out with lower rpm.
Id let clutch out under load slowly and the noise would bstart , squeeze it and it would stop.
Clutch basket was suggested. I found one with a good ad on fleabay and ordered it.
I actually rode the bike the rest of the summer, heavy pulls in 1st through 3rd the clutch would slip some but not horrible.and a funny kinda half second rattle when you shut the engine down.
I opened the clutch and discovered there was in fact play in the rivets of the basket. Not a ton but you could rotate it like an eigth of an inch. I was so excited to put my gently used ebay purchase in and gave the new one a little test twist. It has play also. I put it in and still the noise on shut off and 1200rpm noise... That's in neutral idling. If I set idle at 1500 or a little higher it sounds great but still this little kinda shchink sound on shut off...

Long question short.... Should there be any play in the clutch basket? If so , what could this be? Bike runs great now. Makes a ton of power and does what it should. No smoke no oily coolant or coolanty oil . No metal 馃獧 m the oil when drained ... Thoughts?

Registered
I think they are all (929/954) a little noisy around the clutch/primary drive tbh. as long as play is within limits and the chain drive (crank to clutch) is in good condition and not stretched I think you have to live with it!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I think they are all (929/954) a little noisy around the clutch/primary drive tbh. as long as play is within limits and the chain drive is in good condition and not stretched I think you have to live with it!
Honestly... I'm fine with living with it if it isn't going to cause a problem. Like I said the bike screams and sounds great as long as the idle is at 1500rpm when lower it sounds kinda shitty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts