Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered my clutch cable is frayed apart about 4-5' from the end of the cable (engine end). About half the strands have come apart.

38k miles on it. Anyone else replaced theirs and how many miles did it make. I regularly lubed the cable and kept it clean (every 3k miles).

My dealer says it's warranty but I don't see transporting the bike down to them to have it fixed (price of gas for hauler > price of new cable).

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Assuming it wasnt damaged fromthe get-go or something similar, I would guess it would depend more on how many times the clutch lever has been pulled in thanmiles on the bike. Maybe I'm too used to dirt bikes but cables are sort of a consumable. That said, I'll pay attention to mine the next time im working on it and see how she looks. Was your cable rerouted for Heli bars by chance?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cable wasn't routed different than stock and I use stock clip ons. I clutch it on shifts so it has shifted a lot. I also clutch up wheelies so it's had plenty of abuse. Coming from the dirtbike world, I'm not afraid to slip it on tight corners.

Not a big deal but wrecks my weekend.

·
Registered
576 Posts
35k here. No problem so far. Did you notice it feeling different as it started to go?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just on the last ride (450 miles) it was acting funny. It was frayed inside the cover so when I let out the clutch some of the strands were catching the inside of the cable sleeve and making it slip.

It probably broke gradually so I didn't really notice it any other time.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
EatnAsphalt : My dealer says it's warranty but I don't see transporting the bike down to them to have it fixed (price of gas for hauler > price of new cable).
How far are we talking to the dealership? If you still have half of the strands intact I would think you could ride it there and let them fix it under warranty in a matter of minutes, hence no need for a 'hauler'. I agree with the other person who stated that cables are consumables.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts