Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys can you offer some advice.

I have a feint tapping noise from the clutch on my 2001 RRY. I only notice this when its on idle when I first start it up but..... when you pull in the clutch lever it goes aways.

If anyone else has come across this i'd love to know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to have a 93 cbr6 and that sounded like a bag of spanners in a washing machine so I'd gotton used to a noisy gearbox and didn't notice it... and then my mechanic made me paranoid and said to keep an ear on it.

thanks for your response.

*** Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me ***

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wobyone said:

I have a feint tapping noise from the clutch on my 2001 RRY. I only notice this when its on idle when I first start it up but..... when you pull in the clutch lever it goes aways.

I have an 00 929rr and it is the same way light tap noise on idle in nuetral if i pull the clutch in or rev it up it goes away also it is not consistant either when it idles it comes and goes as it pleases normal 1-2 taps and then a few seconds later comes back. I am wondering if i should worry about it too? Probably nothin tho all bikes seem to have there own noises

·
Registered
454 Posts
My 2001 929 makes just a single tap noise when I first start it up - it sounded from elsewhere in the engine (starter motor not kicking out fully ?)...

But the clutch has always made a noise, especially when the bike is revved lightly from idle - it goes away if you hold the clutch lever in though...pretty common noise from what I've read in this Org.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My clutch plates make a rumbling noise when the engine is still cold and is idling.. goes away when clutch lever is pulled. My former CBR600F4 did the same thing, so I guess it's a cbr thing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I worried the first time I heard that noise in neutral on my 929 until I remembered that my old bike made the same sound. :) All is well in Bladetown.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a VFR FV (97) before, and it did the same thing, but much more loudly...

Maybe we could have a word with Mr Honda, see if he could try and put an end to noisy clutches...:eyebrows:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Every CBR I have ever been around has had the same clutch noise. I would be more worried if it was'nt noisey....................;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wobyone said:

I had the same noise after a year plus with the 954. Apparently it was only the clutch cover. Changed the cover and it's gone completely ;) ! Mine's noise didnt affect performance nor the clutch plates.

·
Registered
162 Posts
that sound comes from the clutch basket. every honda bike has that sound (goes off when u engage the clutch). nothing to worry cos it aint gonna hurt the engine or performance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
hi,iv not had my cbr 900rrx long im worried to as the clutch rattles all the time unless i pull the clutch lever in but its only done 9000 miles and pulls like a train,makes the last bike i had a cbr600 ( 8 years ago) feel like a moped!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone, I bought last week a 929 (my old 600F4 was totaled in a wrestle with a land cruiser :) ) and it has a more pronounced taping from the clutch when on neutral at idle than the F4 coming but as a "bonus" it makes a clinking/coupling noise when making my way at slow speeds in first gear. Not always but often, especially when hot. The noise is clearly coming from the clutch as it engages when I keep it at friction point.

The noise started to appear when I loosen the clutch cable a bit as it was too stiff and without any free play.

Do you think is more than normal in this case? I'll try to change the oil next week (the ex owner told me he put Motul 5100 in it not long ago but I will make sure the oil is good though. I'll put 7100 10w40.

Thanks for any clues you might have to share!

And here is a picture with my... dropship :) (although looks like a stunt bike it wasn't really abused... the owner wasn't really the type)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts