Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just got off the phone from a friend with a 2000 929, he tells me that his clutch failed on a ride yesterday, his description of the problem sounds like the same one as one of the fellow members about a month or so ago, where the clutch shaft broke.
I will be looking at his bike later in the week to possibly try to fix his problem.
I need to know if I need any special tools to pull the clutch apart, I don't know how far I need to pull it down yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't tell me that I'm the first to ask a question that nobody can answer do I win a prize for that.
or maybe it's just to early for some of the regulars

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I havent had the 929's apart, but normal clutch plate and disc replacements usualy dont take special tools. If you need to get the clutch basket off you usualy need special holding tools. You can usualy get it off with an impact gun, but you need a basket holder to install and tighten the nut.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G-Force Junkie : I havent had the 929's apart, but normal clutch plate and disc replacements usualy dont take special tools.  If you need to get the clutch basket off you usualy need special holding tools.  You can usualy get it off with an impact gun, but you need a basket holder to install and tighten the nut.
Thanks for that

·
Registered
819 Posts
I was able to do a clutch replacement on my F3 without a basket holder (the special tool I ordered from the aftermarket was a piece of crap and it broke the basket during use&#33 I didn't have an impact gun at the time so I put a disc lock around the rear sprocket and chain. This kept the rear wheel from turning and I was able to use a long extension for leverage to remove the nut. Left it on to torque it back on and the rest is history.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for that.

I have an impact gun and compressor at home, so it sounds like if I'm armed with that I should be able to do the job ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having taken my clutch apart, I have some experience with the 929 arrangement. You will need (and should use) a clutch basket holder. Be careful, the clutch basket is aluminum and can be damaged rather easily. The nut holding the basket on is called a 'stake' nut and is replaced every time it is removed. There is an area on the nut where you place a punch after it has been torqued to the correct value. This will keep the nut from ever coming lose, but forces you to replace it. I thought about using the old one, but after looking at it closely, decided that would not be a good idea.

I also had to use a long 'breaker' bar to get the nut off.

Also, make sure you use the proper amount of liquid gasket when put the cover back on. I found that more was needed than the service manual would suggest and I would also put it completely around the mating surface, not just in the few spots that Honda calls for.

Hope all that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts