Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you remember me, but i bought a 94 900rr about a month ago that had a spun bearing. well i swapped out the motor with a different one that runs great......here is my new problem, i used the clutch from my old motor and it was working fine in that bike, well now it is slipping in the new motor. my friend that is working on the bike took the clutch plates to the bike garage that he works in and cleaned the plates ( i dont know how but they look brand new ).....well since he did that some of the plates were very hard to slide on, you have to push them hard for them to go on. would this be causing the bike to slip out of gear? he is gonna take them tomorrow and try to file them down so they fit correctly again. final question, its probably dumb, but wouldn't the bike slip out of 1st also? my bike is only slipping in the higher gears. right when you get on the gas it comes out of gear 2nd-6th

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I don't know if any of you remember me, but i bought a 94 900rr about a month ago that had a spun bearing. well i swapped out the motor with a different one that runs great......here is my new problem, i used the clutch from my old motor and it was working fine in that bike, well now it is slipping in the new motor. my friend that is working on the bike took the clutch plates to the bike garage that he works in and cleaned the plates ( i dont know how but they look brand new ).....well since he did that some of the plates were very hard to slide on, you have to push them hard for them to go on. would this be causing the bike to slip out of gear? he is gonna take them tomorrow and try to file them down so they fit correctly again. final question, its probably dumb, but wouldn't the bike slip out of 1st also? my bike is only slipping in the higher gears. right when you get on the gas it comes out of gear 2nd-6th
Slipping out of gear?
Clutch slippage doesn't cause it to come out of gear.
A slipping clutch simply allows the revs to rise without the bike accelerating.
Regarding the clutch, the plates shouldn't be hard to put on so that's definately a worry. Find out exactly what he did to them first but I'm guessing you'll want to get new ones at least.
As for it slipping out of gear, that's a whole different problem probably stemming from the shift forks, shift shaft or shift pawl.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, im thinking maybe a bent shifter shaft because it seems like its a lot harder to shift then it should be, i have the one out of my old motor, so i might try to switch them to see if that is the problem. we looked at the tranny with the oil pan off before we installed the motor and the dogs and forks looked ok. would a bent shaft make it hard to shift and cause it to come out of gear? im so close to getting my bike done, and another problem occurs. just my luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok....lesson learned, just cuz someone says the motor is in great shape, doesn't mean that it is. it turns out the left shift fork is burned up (almost halfway through) and the shift drum has a chunk missin out of it. from the bottom the dogs and gears look ok. i got the forks and drum on order, hopefully i can finally get this thing fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts