Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just replaced my clutch discs and plates in my 03 954. clutch works fine until it gets to about 180degrees, then it starts to slip around 7k and above.... im running castrol full synthetic 4t 10w/50. is it just the oil getting hot and not doing its job or do i need to adjust my clutch? any help appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
It could be, just make sure the bolts on the springs are torqued to specs. Me personally, I like using AMSoil that is actually made for wet plate clutches. You may want to check to make sure the oil you put in is made for a wet plate clutch.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
ok so i just replaced my clutch discs and plates in my 03 954. clutch works fine until it gets to about 180degrees, then it starts to slip around 7k and above.... im running castrol full synthetic 4t 10w/50. is it just the oil getting hot and not doing its job or do i need to adjust my clutch? any help appreciated. thanks

Have you tried an oil that is not full synthetic?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried an oil that is not full synthetic?
I swapped out the oil for some lucas 4t 10w40 semi synthetic moto oil. And its still slipping at 7k and above. It was a used clutch that i bought but it measured out decent so i went with it. I guess ill have to buy a new one :idunno:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and now its slipping weird. if im cruising at 65 or so and gun it, it slips, revs up to about 10k and then falls back down to normal and rides fine.... is it possible to "stretch" the springs out to get more life out of them?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I swapped out the oil for some lucas 4t 10w40 semi synthetic moto oil. And its still slipping at 7k and above. It was a used clutch that i bought but it measured out decent so i went with it. I guess ill have to buy a new one :idunno:
In your second post you said new springs,discs,and plates, then you said used. If they were used they could be glazed, also do the steel plates show any discoloration from excessive heat?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
and now its slipping weird. if im cruising at 65 or so and gun it, it slips, revs up to about 10k and then falls back down to normal and rides fine.... is it possible to "stretch" the springs out to get more life out of them?
I wouldn't attempt to stretch them, it may cause them to chatter. Buy new friction plates.

·
Registered
102 Posts
may sound stupid but have you adjusted your clutch cable correctly. i fitted new friction plates in mine and still slipped then i realised i hadnt adjusted the cable correctly and it wasnt enabling the cable to fully release and still holding the clutch out slightly as tho i was fethering it so to speak. simple adjust at side of road and i was back to full acceleration.

worth a try seming as tho youve tried new oil too. also id definately have used new friction plates as like said above you cant tell if used parts are going to be any better than what youve replaced

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
may sound stupid but have you adjusted your clutch cable correctly. i fitted new friction plates in mine and still slipped then i realised i hadnt adjusted the cable correctly and it wasnt enabling the cable to fully release and still holding the clutch out slightly as tho i was fethering it so to speak. simple adjust at side of road and i was back to full acceleration.

worth a try seming as tho youve tried new oil too. also id definately have used new friction plates as like said above you cant tell if used parts are going to be any better than what youve replaced

how is the correct way to adjust the cable? should there be any play in the arm it connects to? and even if it wasnt adjusted correctly, why would the clutch slip for just a sec and then grab again. this happens in every gear from 7k and up... its just drivin me crazy and i cant buy new plates until i get paid in a week... a week off my bike is like hell on earth :thumbd: but thank you for all the info.

·
Registered
240 Posts
When the new Clutch plates were fitted were they all the same dimentions?

Often the first on in is a slighly different size!
Have you got in in the right order?

The cable sould have some free play when relised, but minimum.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
how is the correct way to adjust the cable? should there be any play in the arm it connects to? and even if it wasnt adjusted correctly, why would the clutch slip for just a sec and then grab again. this happens in every gear from 7k and up... its just drivin me crazy and i cant buy new plates until i get paid in a week... a week off my bike is like hell on earth :thumbd: but thank you for all the info.

Yes, there should be play at the lever. Have you got a manual?
Your're saying that if you're riding at 5000rpm and accelerate, the clutch slips momentarily as you pass through 7000rpm?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, there should be play at the lever. Have you got a manual?
Your're saying that if you're riding at 5000rpm and accelerate, the clutch slips momentarily as you pass through 7000rpm?
Yes pretty much. 6th gear, 65-70mph, around 5-6k. I open the throttle a good amount and it slips for a second or two, bike revs to limiter, and the falls back down to normal then grabs and i can accelerate no problem. But if i let off the throttle and start cruising at speed limit again for a few seconds and punch it again, it does the same thing all over again.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yes pretty much. 6th gear, 65-70mph, around 5-6k. I open the throttle a good amount and it slips for a second or two, bike revs to limiter, and the falls back down to normal then grabs and i can accelerate no problem. But if i let off the throttle and start cruising at speed limit again for a few seconds and punch it again, it does the same thing all over again.

I'd have to say it's either the clutch slipping or the tyre is spinning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When the new Clutch plates were fitted were they all the same dimentions?

Often the first on in is a slighly different size!
Have you got in in the right order?

The cable sould have some free play when relised, but minimum.
Yes. The first disc ( spring and apring seat side ) has a bigger ID than the rest, all discs and plates were fitted correctly as i fitted exactly as they came out. And i know that there isnt any play in my cable, ill adjust it tonight and see if i have any luck.. thanks.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yes. The first disc ( spring and apring seat side ) has a bigger ID than the rest, all discs and plates were fitted correctly as i fitted exactly as they came out. And i know that there isnt any play in my cable, ill adjust it tonight and see if i have any luck.. thanks.

If your cable is tight then that will definately cause it to slip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd have to say it's either the clutch slipping or the tyre is spinning.
So my cable was wayyyyy to tight. I got probably half an inch of thread to come back before there was any kind of slack..... Im an idiot :rotfl: thanks for all the help though!! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
KGB called this one early on, glad you got it fixed.:thumb:

·
Registered
335 Posts
had the same problem on my 929, seems like its got something to do with the lift lever or the camshaft generator, replace those and the issue will go away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts