Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clutch on my 1997 RRV is tapping, it’s not the usual clutch rumble, or if it is it’s severe, pulling the clutch in does make it go away but it’s really bad, I can feel it through the handlebars on tick over, it feels like the centre nut has come loose and the clutch basket it rattling about, maybe it has!!
, I guess I’ll have to pull the cover off and have a look but just wondered if anyone else has had this?
Edit

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve only just found time to have a look at the clutch, can’t find much wrong so far, one odd thing is that the thrust bearing slides in the pressure plate, the Haynes manual describes this bearing as a press fit in the pressure plate.

I would have thought that the bearing should not slide in the bore on the pressure plate and that the reason it does is that the bore in the pressure plate has worn slightly, not sure this would contribute to the tapping I can feel in the clutch actuator arm with the engine running in neutral though.

Ive got the plates out now but had to stop there due to having to take father to docs, I’ll try to get back on it tomorrow.

I couldn’t feel any end float in the basket or hub and only fractional “wobble” on the basket when pulling it side to side, I would expect this to be normal due to tolerances in the centre bearing to shaft.

vid of thrust bearing

if the link doesn’t work just type “Marks RRV thrust bearing” into the YouTube search bar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the needle roller fitted in the basket, they charged a whole £10, simple job with the correct kit I know but even so I thought that was very reasonable , anyway I need a quick hand hold from someone that has replaced a clutch basket on one of these!
When I was dismantling I noticed that the out edge of the basket gear sits outboard of the primary gear by about 1mm maybe 1.5mm, on replacing the basket I have ended up with the exact same condition, so although I’m pretty sure that this is correct I’d like someone to say, “yes that’s how it should be!”
Photo below
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve confirmed that the clutch basket gear being proud of the primary gear is normal.

PS I bought new clutch plates from AW motorcycles, they sent me the wrong parts and then tried to give just a 50% refund, a quick complaint to eBay and I got a 100% refund, I’ll leave it to you to decide if they are worth buying from!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts