Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am rebuilding a 1996 919cc engine'ed CBR... The engine has been out and I have fitted a new clutch with heavy duty springs, new cam chain and tensioners etc. I have now put the engine back in the frame, and thought I would test the clutch.. I cant start it yet, as the carbs still need work, and I havent put any oil in yet (until I know that the clutch is ok)...

So I hooked up the new clutch cable, hooked up the gear change, put the front sprocket on... In neutral i can spin the front sprocket as expected. Drop it into 1st and I cant move the sprocket.... good.But pulling the clutch in and I still cant move the sprocket.. I have today stripped and rebuilt the clutch twice, but can find no issues... still cant spin the sprocket with the clutch lever pulled...

Two things I have noticed...

1) The heavy duty springs are about 5mm longer than the standard were... Will this make a difference?
2) The new clutch cable is already right at the end of the adjustment.. surely not right...

Any ideas or pointers happily and greatfully received.... I had heard that I need to start the engine and drop it into gear for the clutch to align - is this right????

Cheers,

Simon.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Did you possibly over tighten the bolts holding the springs to pressure plate? On most bikes these need to be around 8 ft/lbs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Well the manual does not specify a torque setting - so I wound them down to the stop - and then just nipped them up by hand... Possibly??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - I have just gone out and tried this.. Set the pressure plate bolts to 8nm for peace of mind.. No change.. I still cannot spin the front sprocket in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Does the clutch have a normal feel when you pull the lever? If you didn't get the actuator arm properly engaged on the lifter pin it will not disengage the clutch when the lever is pulled in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Yes it does feel normal - it actually feels like a smooth clutch operation, which is even more confusing :)

Another question - if I pull the clutch lever, does it pull the plates apart, or just release the clutch spring pressure to allow them to move? I guess what im saying is that i fitted the new plates about 6 months ago - since which time the engine has sat on a bench without oil in. Could the plates be stuck together now?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Hi, Yes it does feel normal - it actually feels like a smooth clutch operation, which is even more confusing :)

Another question - if I pull the clutch lever, does it pull the plates apart, or just release the clutch spring pressure to allow them to move? I guess what im saying is that i fitted the new plates about 6 months ago - since which time the engine has sat on a bench without oil in. Could the plates be stuck together now?
Yes, that is a possibility. I can't say I remember ever trying to move the sprocket by hand with the clutch in, but I guess in theory it should work. I think there might be too much resistance anyway to do that by hand.

When you pull the clutch lever it pulls the pressure plate off the clutch plates against the spring pressure. If they have sat for 6 months with no oil between them, I would say that most are stuck together.

If you are confident that your install is correct, put the chain on and get it running and see how she reacts. If no change, you're really no different as you stand now. The clutch should still come off and be looked at for proper plate numbers and assembly.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i would suspect that by hand you wouldn't be able to turn the front sprocket. If it were in the bike and the rear wheel was there I bet you could get enough torque to overcome the friction. you could try using a wrench on he sprocket nut to get more leverage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think machinehead may be right. There is some friction, even when the lever is pulled and the clutch is disengaged, so turning the sprocket by hand may not work.

I recently changed out my 919 clutch for a performance clutch also. When I have the bike in first gear and pull the lever, I can push the bike, but there's noticeably more resistance than when it's being pushed in neutral.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts