Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this thread because I want to explain my troubles in hopes this will help someone down the road doing a search like I did all day today. Just trying to contribute because other contributions greatly help me out today.

Yesturday I had my 2000' 929 blade calling me to ride. So I went to my shop and geared up. I cranked up the beast for warm up and it sounded fine. Once the RPM's settled down a bit it was warmed up and ready so before I could hop on it just unexplainably died. So I tried cranking again and again. It acted like it wanted to run because a couple cylinders would fire off but it would cough and sputter and never start.

So today after work I tore into it. I dont run a speedo because its a fighter but never-the-less I always keep it for just in case. I plugged it in and I was getting 1 long red light and 9 short red lights on the FI indicator. The long lights = 10 and the short lights = 1. I learned this by searching and reading up. So this means I had a code 19 or error 19, however you want to say it. This code relates to the IPG ignition pulse generator located on the inside of the clutch cover. I pulled off the small round cover apprx. 2 inches / 51 mm and put my fingers in there to check the sensor. It was very loose. After taking the entire clutch cover off, only 1 nut was barely holding the IPG sensor on. It supposed to have 2. Since it was loose the reading rotor next to it was not reading correctly so the firing was majorly off. I have had this cover off before so after looking down in the oil pan (after draining) and not seeing the missing nut, I used a magnet on a flex rod and stuck it in every crevice I could to find the nut to no avail. I thought maybe I forgot one back when I had the cover off before. I decided to grab another nut and remount the sensor and then reinstalled the clutch cover.

After oil was put back in I decided to test ride to my bros house. It ran great but halfway there I got stuck in 1st gear. I could only go to neutral and first. I went back home (slowly with some coasting).

First thing came to mind was that missing nut. I pulled the clutch cover and the oil pan. After some tedious searching I found the nut jammed in between the engine case and the shifter rod that goes all the way across the case and ends up into the clutch cover. I pulled it out and replace the other sensor nut with the correct one with locktite of coarse....

Reassemble the bike and :thumb:

Thanks to this forum and the other contributing members posting, my bike is running and all is well.:smilebig:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
First thing came to mind was that missing nut. I pulled the clutch cover and the oil pan. After some tedious searching I found the nut jammed in between the engine case and the shifter rod that goes all the way across the case and ends up into the clutch cover.
Good find :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I am posting this thread because I want to explain my troubles in hopes this will help someone down the road doing a search like I did all day today. Just trying to contribute because other contributions greatly help me out today.

Yesturday I had my 2000' 929 blade calling me to ride. So I went to my shop and geared up. I cranked up the beast for warm up and it sounded fine. Once the RPM's settled down a bit it was warmed up and ready so before I could hop on it just unexplainably died. So I tried cranking again and again. It acted like it wanted to run because a couple cylinders would fire off but it would cough and sputter and never start.

So today after work I tore into it. I dont run a speedo because its a fighter but never-the-less I always keep it for just in case. I plugged it in and I was getting 1 long red light and 9 short red lights on the FI indicator. The long lights = 10 and the short lights = 1. I learned this by searching and reading up. So this means I had a code 19 or error 19, however you want to say it. This code relates to the IPG ignition pulse generator located on the inside of the clutch cover. I pulled off the small round cover apprx. 2 inches / 51 mm and put my fingers in there to check the sensor. It was very loose. After taking the entire clutch cover off, only 1 nut was barely holding the IPG sensor on. It supposed to have 2. Since it was loose the reading rotor next to it was not reading correctly so the firing was majorly off. I have had this cover off before so after looking down in the oil pan (after draining) and not seeing the missing nut, I used a magnet on a flex rod and stuck it in every crevice I could to find the nut to no avail. I thought maybe I forgot one back when I had the cover off before. I decided to grab another nut and remount the sensor and then reinstalled the clutch cover.

After oil was put back in I decided to test ride to my bros house. It ran great but halfway there I got stuck in 1st gear. I could only go to neutral and first. I went back home (slowly with some coasting).

First thing came to mind was that missing nut. I pulled the clutch cover and the oil pan. After some tedious searching I found the nut jammed in between the engine case and the shifter rod that goes all the way across the case and ends up into the clutch cover. I pulled it out and replace the other sensor nut with the correct one with locktite of coarse....

Reassemble the bike and :thumb:

Thanks to this forum and the other contributing members posting, my bike is running and all is well.:smilebig:

Very good of you to take the time to post this for others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts