Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of funny, to me at least.

Last night there was a strong thunderstorm approaching so I was good for once and shut down my computer. I unplugged the surge protector from the wall and left it all alone until the storm passed.

I went back upstairs to get everything restarted. As I plugged the surge protector into the wall I was surprised by a small spark and a pop. Everything seemed ok so I pushed the button to turn the computer on.

As the computer booted, the CD Rom drive started cycling open and closed. Once the computer was up and running, the drive stayed open.

If I try to close it the tray retracts and the light flashes for a few seconds, then opens again.

I've googled some possibilities and here's what I've done.

1) Possible Virus. I've run a full scan on my computer. Nothing found.
2) I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drive on Windows (XP)
3) I've completely shut down and restarted the computer.

Did the spark somehow get through the protector and fry the drive? :huh: Is there any way to check?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
I know this will sound strange, but it sounds like the button on the CD drive is stuck. Make sure that not only the plastic piece on the front but the button on the drive itself is not jammed in any way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
If it does it before Windows even loads, it's not a software problem. You can test this by popping up the boot menu (F8 after the BIOS scan) and seeing if it cycles there too. If it doesn't start until after Windows is booted, I'd try safe mode to see if it still does it. If it does, then you can worry about virus or driver issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
DUX said:
This is kind of funny, to me at least.

Last night there was a strong thunderstorm approaching so I was good for once and shut down my computer. I unplugged the surge protector from the wall and left it all alone until the storm passed.

I went back upstairs to get everything restarted. As I plugged the surge protector into the wall I was surprised by a small spark and a pop.
I don't know about the other stuff, but I can tell you what caused the spark (electrician!).

I would bet you left the power switch on the surge protector in the on position, even though the computer was shut off. Right?

As you plug in something that is immediately drawing power, you'll see that spark from the outlet to the cord cap. It's normal for most electronic stuff. TV's are the most common. They keep the transformer running all the time to speed up power on. The power supply in your computer also is on (in a standby mode) all the time even though your computer might be shut down. Or it could have been from some other device plugged into the power strip. Cell phone charger, etc. Anything with a transformer.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top