Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run ME on my computer (yes I know it sucks bigtime..) Just purchased a new game (Max Payne2) and it requires DirectX9 to run.
The problem is that my computer will NOT accept this program. I've tried to download it from Microsofts downloadpages as well as running it from the game CD. I get it downloaded, but when the machine starts to copy files to complete the instalation all I get is a 'fault box' which says could not copy all required files.

I've tried to clean the harddrive completely by installing a recovery cd to start with a 'clean machine' but nothing helps..

I am experiencing almost the same kind of problems when i download updates for Windows.

Anybody got a clue?

Im pretty stupid when it comes to computers, so you would have to be able to explain in a simple way

Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Me sucks, 98se is better...XP is way better for gaming..

PS-
I have licenses for XP Home and XP Pro if your interested

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
98SE is a lot better for gaming than XP IMO. AFAIK, XP generally slow games down by several FPS, from overhead, etc. If your machine is just meeting recommmended (not just required) specs, that will do you some good.

As for your question, what version of DX is currently installed in your system? Click START > Run > then type 'dxdiag' without quotes > OK

Note DX version, if it's earlier than 8.0a, try installing that first.... I know this is stupid, but it's worth a try I guess.

dx8.0a

Have you done other tweaks to the OS, I found out that I messed up my copy of ME beyond recovery (I couldn't even d/l any updates from MS) until I cleaned format and reinstalled ME from scratch (not using a 'recovery' CD to restore OS).

Try 8.0a first before 9. Even if you've got 8.0a, try reinstalling it anyway, it'll repair anything you've accidently deleted, etc.

Good luck.

[Disclaimer]I am not Tech support for MS, so I may be talking out of my ass.[/Disclaimer]

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
asiliat : 98SE is a lot better for gaming than XP IMO.  AFAIK, XP generally slow games down by several FPS, from overhead, etc.  If your machine is just meeting recommmended (not just required) specs, that will do you some good.

As for your question, what version of DX is currently installed in your system?  Click START > Run > then type 'dxdiag' without quotes > OK

Note DX version, if it's earlier than 8.0a, try installing that first....  I know this is stupid, but it's worth a try I guess.

dx8.0a

Have you done other tweaks to the OS, I found out that I messed up my copy of ME beyond recovery (I couldn't even d/l any updates from MS) until I cleaned format and reinstalled ME from scratch (not using a 'recovery' CD to restore OS).

Try 8.0a first before 9.  Even if you've got 8.0a, try reinstalling it anyway, it'll repair anything you've accidently deleted, etc.

Good luck.  

[Disclaimer]I am not Tech support for MS, so I may be talking out of my ass.[/Disclaimer]
Thanks for all help/hints

I'm still not up and running with my new game though..

Looks like the only solution is to buy and install XP

I downloaded and installed DirectX 8.0a without problems, but this stupid machine still refuses to accept DirectX 9.

Haven't tweaked the OS in any other way, and the recovery stuff was the kind that erases everything on the hard drive, and reinstalls it, so I think that should be ok?

Again, thanks for the help!

You guys rock!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Fire929blade : I converted to XP pro today, and now I can play Max Payne 2 It is very cool.. If your'e into 1st person shooter games it's a 'must have'

Thanks again for all help!
I bought it for the xbox months ago... and have played it for a grand total of about an hour

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2OHOH2954 : Quote (Fire929blade @ Nov. 04 2003, 7:09pm)I converted to XP pro today, and now I can play Max Payne 2 It is very cool.. If your'e into 1st person shooter games it's a 'must have'

Thanks again for all help!
I bought it for the xbox months ago... and have played it for a grand total of about an hour
You didn't like it? It might be like Medal of honour AA? I loved that game on PC, but it was no fun of PS2..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts