Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted on Drudgereport...

TRENT, S.D. (AP) - Rep. Bill Janklow was driving a car that hit a motorcycle and killed its rider at a rural intersection, state officials said Sunday.

Janklow, 63, a former four-term governor who is in his first congressional term, suffered minor injuries but didn't require medical attention, said Col. Dan Mosteller, the head of the state Highway Patrol.

Mosteller said the investigation was continuing, and it wasn't immediately clear whether charges would be filed.

The car hit the motorcycle near Trent, about 25 miles north of Sioux Falls.

Randolph E. Scott, 53, of Hardwick, Minn., was pronounced dead at the scene, Mosteller said. He was not wearing a helmet, Mosteller said.

A Janklow staff members was traveling with the Republican congressman but was not injured, Mosteller said. The staff member was not identified.

There was no indication that alcohol or drugs played a role in the crash, Mosteller said.

Moody County Coroner Ted Jacobs told the Sioux Falls Argus Leader that he drew blood samples from the victim and the driver to determine alcohol levels, as is routine. Results weren't yet available.

A person answering the phone at Janklow's home near Brandon declined to speak to a reporter.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'll be the first to just throw it out there.............I'm sure it was the bikers fault! Congressmen dont just go around killing people on accident.

we'll see I guess...........

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
954inMN : Turns out the congressman has 12 speeding tickets in 4 years and failed to stop at a stop sign- the biker had no stop sign at his intersection.
How fast do you have to be going to get ONE speeding ticket IF YOU'RE A DAMNED CONGRESSMAN? Those guys get a pretty free ride, or at least a better than even break. If what you're saying is true, I want to see that that son of a bitch tried for 2nd degree murder, just as if he was a regular citizen who killed a cute kid in a district where the DA had political aspirations.

Makes one fanticize how life would be if everyone who recklessly killed a rider and got away with it got a late night visit.....

OK, I'm over it now.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just read an update:

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. —  Rep. Bill Janklow (search ) was driving an
estimated 70-75 mph when he ran a stop sign and collided with a
motorcycle, according to an accident report released Wednesday by the
South Dakota Highway Patrol.

The speed limit on the road is 55 mph.

The report increases the likelihood of prosecutors bringing criminal
charges against the former four-term governor, who has exerted enormous
political power over South Dakota politics for nearly 30 years.

Highway Patrol officials said they would forward the results of the
report to Moody County  prosecutor William Ellingson (search ), who
will decide whether to bring charges against Janklow.

Ellingson said he has no deadline for deciding any charges. 'That
process cannot and should not be rushed,' Ellingson said.

Janklow's son, Russ Janklow, said Wednesday his father was expecting to
be prosecuted. Possible charges range from second-degree manslaughter
to a misdemeanor such as careless driving.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Did anyone catch the ABC national news (5 o'clock CST IIRC)? Can't say I know the infobabe who was on the tele (a rather hot, thin brunette with somewhat sharp features), but they did a piece on the incident and it does not look good for the Congressman. Looks like there may be some stonewalling going on as well.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Thanks. I used to live in Sioux Falls, and Argus is a good news source.

So this is enough to piss ya off, eh? Me too.

Edit: image snipped from reply

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Hey, has anyone ferreted out the name of the person who made the call to 911? Assuming it was the good Congressman, I feel like the timeline is a little suspect. If what the diagram suggests is correct, there was an eleven minute span between the accident and the call for help. Let me tell you guys, that's an eternity. Should have been nearly spontaneous.

I could be all wet of course, but the cop half of my brain is grinding away here and the more I educate myself on this case, the more I suspect Janklow of lying about what really happened. Presumption of innocence, I know, I know, but I smell a rat on this one.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Chain : Thanks. I used to live in Sioux Falls, and Argus is a good news source.

So this is enough to piss ya off, eh? Me too.

Edit: image snipped from reply
Chronic dirtbag (I just don't want to spend the rest of the evening typing what else I think of him)... with two witnesses, and accident investigation, you know that he just buried himself a little deeper.

What bothers me more than the death is that like so many before him, he'll likely get away with a slap, maybe a hard slap, but still just a slap on the wrist.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
[rant] Such a terrible event but what really get's me is that it appears as if he's trying to not take responsibility for his actions. He should be severly punished, no leniency. What a *@!#@! jerk. Sounds like the press isn't being kind, though. [/rant]

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When do all the HD riders converge on Sturgis? Maybe they could charge $1.00 per whack to hit him with a sledge hammer instead of a Japanese bike this year...

I'd love to see him spend the rest of his worthless overpriveleged life in prison.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Chain : the more I educate myself on this case, the more I suspect Janklow of lying about what really happened.
A politician wouldn't lie, now would he?

I read somewhere that the police department/govt agencies are telling the slain rider's friend that was in front of him (a witness) not to discuss any details about what happened... smell like cover-up to you?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not necessarily...They may be thinking ahead toward the trial. Not giving the defense a heads up, making sure the witness' observations are well documented, trying to not taint a potential jury pool...

The local police don't owe anything to this US rep., nor do they have anything to fear from him, politically or from a funding standpoint.

They're probably just as outraged as we are. By all accounts, the man who was killed was well liked and respected in his community.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts