Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too sure if this will help but i had a constant beep on my 98 F3. This turned out to be the regulator/rectifier. It was boiling the battery. If you take it for a long run do you get a burning smell of plastic from where the battery is?
Hey long time lurker first time poster, usually my problems are common enough that I never needed to ask however this problem seems a little less common, checking Ridetolive's profile it would appear he is not an active user on this forum anymore however I did manage to find one thread where he posted this and it appears the be the exact same problem which I am experiencing in my CBR600RR 08. Long story short, I crashed my baby at the track awhile ago 6> Months, it took me awhile to fix it but today was the first day I got to take her out since. The battery was completely dead so I pretty much jumped it back to life with my car before the trickle charger would even acknowledge it was connected to one. After days charge it still wasn't full but I was itching for a ride so I did the old push start and off I went, it quickly built up a charge and was stopping and starting fine, after about a 5 hour ride I proceeded to go home; on the way back I started to hear a strange beep at the lights, there was nothing on my cluster so I ignored it thinking it was coming from another vehicle, when I finally pull up to my house and switch off the engine the beep was ear piercing I quickly got of and started to smell a "melting" smell I immediately stepped back kinda scared it was going to blow up or something, but after concluding that the beep was coming from the battery compt. I raced to get it open, I quickly disconnected the battery but the beep was still going (which freaked me out a little bit), I'm pretty sure it was originating from the battery regulator or something along those lines I quickly tried to pull out the battery but it was blistering hot. It sounds almost identical to ride's whom I am hoping will see this thread and share more light on my situation, (or if anyone else would care to for that matter) my main concern is if it is the actual regulator which was the problem or a dead battery which I should of replaced instead of jumping it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
is it a lead acid battery? It's possible when you recharged the battery the water was evaporated and some of the plates fused/welded together when they dried out. As the battery continued to charge the rest of the water was boiling due to the short inside the battery and the "beeping" you heard was the steam pressure escaping from battery. There is no speakers or anything under the seat unless you have some kind of after market alarm system.


Either way you need a new battery. I don't think your bike's charging system is messed up.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top