Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,645 Posts
Anyone know what caused this on a 1994 CBR900RR please it was oozing a very thick sticky gooey mess.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94338&stc=1&d=1563772058
Never seen anything like that on a carbied 900.

What’s the background of the bike? Was there a fire under the seat?

The only typical electrical issue with the older 900’s is the charging system cooks itself or it’s various components.

Aside from any other problem you might have had, I would say the stator connector melted and/or started a fire and the ECU was collateral damage.

Is there anything else bedsides the under tray and ECU damaged?

Got more pics of surrounding area?

Oh, and the ECU is generally “suspended” in silicone, so that’s the ooze you saw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never seen anything like that on a carbied 900.

What’s the background of the bike? Was there a fire under the seat?

The only typical electrical issue with the older 900’s is the charging system cooks itself or it’s various components.

Aside from any other problem you might have had, I would say the stator connector melted and/or started a fire and the ECU was collateral damage.

Is there anything else bedsides the under tray and ECU damaged?

Got more pics of surrounding area?

Oh, and the ECU is generally “suspended” in silicone, so that’s the ooze you saw.
Thanks so much for your input, so silicone was the gooey mess.
No fire and I've never seen anything like it either with a CDi unit.
Had a '93 blade for 12 years and never a problem.
History is ran for 19 years and sadly dumped for 6 years, seller lied but it was cheap anyhow so just going through check process.
The stator checked out on the multimeter and there's no other visional damage other than neglect.
Gonna take me a while checking the loom wiring & relays. :laugh
Regards.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,645 Posts
Thanks so much for your input, so silicone was the gooey mess.
No fire and I've never seen anything like it either with a CDi unit.
Had a '93 blade for 12 years and never a problem.
History is ran for 19 years and sadly dumped for 6 years, seller lied but it was cheap anyhow so just going through check process.
The stator checked out on the multimeter and there's no other visional damage other than neglect.
Gonna take me a while checking the loom wiring & relays. :laugh
Regards.
Wow, I have a 93 that’s been in service since it’s inception. Been crashed, modded, remodded and running great since 2013. The charging components have been changed, but everything else has been proper.

Chalk it up to unexplainable if no evidence of anything else, eBay a CDI and carry on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I have a 93 that’s been in service since it’s inception. Been crashed, modded, remodded and running great since 2013. The charging components have been changed, but everything else has been proper.

Chalk it up to unexplainable if no evidence of anything else, eBay a CDI and carry on.
Found this today I think my ancient multimeter is telling porkies will get a new one and check the stator again surely only a stator could have enough voltage to cook things.

67792063_10157561142525990_4110222937074696192_n.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
As previously stated they do like to cook the electrics under the seat, usually just down to age and corrosion. Honda's are, of course, also notorious for the reg/rec. I found changing the multi plug going into it helps and chopping out the corroded cables and replacing them. A good dose of something like ACF50 stops the corrosion. My RRP was a bastard for it until I did the above, haven't had a problem since, touch wood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As previously stated they do like to cook the electrics under the seat, usually just down to age and corrosion. Honda's are, of course, also notorious for the reg/rec. I found changing the multi plug going into it helps and chopping out the corroded cables and replacing them. A good dose of something like ACF50 stops the corrosion. My RRP was a bastard for it until I did the above, haven't had a problem since, touch wood.
Yeah many thanks for some tech support any help is gladly needed that's why joined up here, bike neglected for 6 years so yeah some corrosion but dirt build up is worse.

The bike started life in Thailand and wiring has been messed about with, found wiring diagram which gives me some idea what wire should be where. :grin

Ordering parts for a 1994 blade where I live is not easy, will have to travel to a big bike Honda main dealer.

Quality aftermarket will do after checking stuff and what to replace.
Was your reg/rec aftermarket ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My r/r just failed and I was reading that some people use Yamaha R1 r/r as they are more reliable.
Thanks buddy many things electrical on this bike is a problem, any help with it is appreciated.
Mechanically checking out Ok so that's good news.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts