Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Talking about miniature, has anyone ever heard of an incident (yes, it may have been a joke like the chicken cannon) where a bunch of American engineers made what they said was the worlds smallest drill bit and sent it to Germany to show it off. Then the German Engineers sent it back with a hole drilled in the shank. I know some of you guys have a memory for this kind of stuff so maybe someone remembers a site about it.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Newfie TLR said:
Talking about miniature, has anyone ever heard of an incident (yes, it may have been a joke like the chicken cannon) where a bunch of American engineers made what they said was the worlds smallest drill bit and sent it to Germany to show it off. Then the German Engineers sent it back with a hole drilled in the shank. I know some of you guys have a memory for this kind of stuff so maybe someone remembers a site about it.
That sounds like an urban legend, but I like it! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
abtech said:
I'll consider that a personal insult.
Considering that it came from a person who can't even spell the word "defense," I'd just let it roll off your back, Ab. ;)

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Newfie TLR said:
I remember the story very well. The only thing is, the drill bit is still going back and forth, as the American scientists scribed the Declaration of Independence around the top 1/3rd of the bit and sent it back to the Germans. I understand they countered with 3 dimensional coloring of the Declaration's text. I have the story around here somewhere, as one of the engineers involved was a friend of my dad's and worked at Lockheed back in the 60's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I saw a mini V-8 on some TV show (Ripley's maybe) that could fit in the palm of your hand. It sounded wicked when they fired it up-like a weed eater from hell.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
That is an awesome project for sure... :thumb:

Been looking at that for awhile trying to figure out how the supercharger works. The rotors have vanes instead of interlocking lobes....so how does it seal off between the rotors...does the casing extend up into the interstitial area on the bottom side.... :huh:

Can someone tell from the pictures... :idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Looks to me like he bored the holes leaving a "wall" between the rotors. Kinda like 2 superchargers in the case. Each side looks to have an inlet, and the teflon rotor seals use the case rather than the base of each other.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
No but all the good ones work in defence.
abtech said:
I'll consider that a personal insult.
I just figured all the great ones, like us, were in the private sector. :idunno:

;)

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Yup, its not a typical roots type blower with interolcking lobes. Liek you said, its basicaly the same as a vane impeller: the rotor is off center of the bore and the vanes move in and out as the volume between them change as it goes through its rotation. Like ltl said, its basicaly two of these side by side. Now I really would be impressed if he made it a three lobe helical design :thumb: Speaking of small engines, anyone remember that video clip of the tiny Ferrari?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
luvtolean said:
Looks to me like he bored the holes leaving a "wall" between the rotors. Kinda like 2 superchargers in the case. Each side looks to have an inlet, and the teflon rotor seals use the case rather than the base of each other.
That's all I have been able to figure as well... The "wall" appears to be machined away in the inlet area, making it hard to tell how it's sealing in the middle...

I'm curious as to why he chose vanes rather than traditional interlocking lobes...has to be an interesting story behind that... :hmm:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Baketech said:
That's all I have been able to figure as well... The "wall" appears to be machined away in the inlet area, making it hard to tell how it's sealing in the middle...

I'm curious as to why he chose vanes rather than traditional interlocking lobes...has to be an interesting story behind that... :hmm:
With both sides independent, you dont have the hassle of timing the two rotors. nor the very tight tolerances.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts