Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the coolant on my 2000 929. I have flushed the system with plain water and radiator flush. The system would only take the radiator flush (about 1 qt.) and about 1 quart of distilled water. I drained this through the water pump and the engine block drain. Tried to fill with Maxum premix, but it would only take slightly less than 2 quarts. Ran the engine, thinking there was air in the system, and after heating up, a lot of the coolant came out of the radiator filler (cap hole). Drained the system again (thinking I had left a lot of coolant in) the same as before, but this time took off most of the hoses, and did get a fair amount of coolant from that process. Ran water through to flush it once more, and tried to refill. Same thing happened. I read Abtech's changed instructions in the KB, and I am sure that I took off all the hoses he described (and then some).

I don't understand what is going on. What am I doing wrong? I have changed coolant on many cars and bikes and have never had a problem. The bike was not running hot before I changed the coolant, so I think the thermostat is opening correctly.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I ran into the same thing pretty much. Water fill...track day thing..bla,bla,bla. When I went to put antifreeze back in I put the block plug back in and left the pump one out. I started to pour the 50/50 mix in and watched as more water was being pushed out of the hole. Did that until I got a good steady stream of antifreeze and then pluged it. Then the startup burp thing..yada,yada.....my .02 worth

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Did you drain the water out first, and then start to pour the 50/50 mix in to displace the rest of the water? Sounds like that's what you are describing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I did use the Honda stuff to be on the safe side (warranty) plus the fact that Honda's coolant does not contain Silicates which thay claim will cause premature wear to the water pump seals. I just picked it up at the dealership already premixed because I'm lazy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts