Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to, or give me directions on coolant change for a 929. I have a track day comming up and I need to switch to straight distilled water and WW. It looks like there used to be an article that covered this but it is gone.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Sorry I can't give any info as I haven't done it yet, but :welcome: to the org :D

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Buy about 4 gallons of distilled water from your local supermarket. Drain the coolant from the lowest point on the bike. The drain on the water pump(it's the bolt with the copper washer under it) or the hose off the drain pump. Siphon out the coolant in the overflow tank as well. Refill the system with distilled water (the overflow tank too) and run the bike for 2 mins. Drain and repeat that procedure but let the bike come up to full temp this time so the thermostat opens up. Let the bike cool for 15 mins and drain once more (remember to drain the overflow tank every time to clean it out too). Add one ounce of WW right into the radiator (this is for the water thats in the system already. Premix WW into a gallon of the distilled waqter you have and then fill the system and the overflow. Run it up to temp for about 5 mins. Let it cool completely (overnight works). Open the cap top it off and top off the overflow if necessary. Only use distilled water as tap water has all those minerals that corrode metals that distilled is free of. If you do put coolant back in someday make sure you use a 'silicate free' one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
929IP

Don't forget to drain the head and upper engine system from the drain bolt located more on the left side, under the exhaust manifolds. There are only two for the whole system. The other one is on the water pump as Rob stated. You will know wich ones by the link below and the fact they have copper sealing washers. I would also consider replacing the washers with new as one can have some minor leakage by them afterwards. Torque specs on those two bolts are 9 foot pounds, just snug, as its aluminum you are threading into. Here is the part number for the washers; 90463-ML7-000

Rather than type out my service manual inst. I will give you the link to rrzone's pdf of that section (6-4).

http://www.rrzone.com/929products/serviceman/20002001coolantchange.pdf

If you follow these instructions you will find they won't be as lengthy as Rob's and they are from the Honda Gods to boot!

Let me know if you can't get it. Also there is a pile of other service manual info there, have fun burnin' rubber.

Aaron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts